Auto Brightness?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nuggets, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets New Member
    Bronze

How is this supposed to work? Does the phone detect the lighting conditions? What should the brightness slider be set to when auto brightness is enabled? Seems silly that the slider is even available with this setting enabled. Maybe I'm not understanding how it works.....

2. pb30

pb30 New Member
    Bronze

The phone does detect the lighting conditions and adjusts the brightness. It looks like the slider changes the range of how bright you want it to be. This way it still adjusts, but will be less bright if you want to save battery

3. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot
    Gold

I think your brightness you select is MAXIMUM Brightness and it just lower from there in certain conditiions

4. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

I actually haven't been too impressed with this feature. I don't ever notice it changing brightness.

5. joe

joe New Member
    Gold

I believe it only adjusts when it wakes from sleep. Since we walk around and find ourselves moving in and out of different lighting situations I would prefer that it continually adjusts.

6. ben1380

ben1380 New Member
    Bronze

Maybe that means it's working really well.

7. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Good point. But for all we know, this auto-brightness is a big hoax. I mean, do we have any definitive proof of it?

8. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot
    Gold

If you go from a brightly lit room to a darker room the screen doesn't get as bright. I'm sure it's to save battery power.

9. adseguy

adseguy New Member
    Bronze

I definatley notice it and it's great when working from indoors to outdoors without changing anything.

1.) Get into a very dark room (say a closet) and wake up the phone. Slide the unlock (by then you might see it change).
    2.) Sleep the phone
    3.) Move outdoors or to a well lite room
    4.) unlock the phone (take notice at the brightness as this will change in the next step
    5.) Slide the unlock, you will notice the change.

I have noticed it doesn't exactly poll at intervals it just auto adjusts when you change applications. I was at a meeting and the lights were off for a presentation then the lights came back on and about 5 seconds later the phone brightned up to my happy surprise.

10. BoxKrait

BoxKrait New Member
    Bronze

Can't you just put your finger over the light sensor and watch it change?
    Or am I just slow this morning and that would trigger the proxy thing?

11. adseguy

adseguy New Member
    Bronze

proximity sensor only works when in a call. I mean you wouldn't put the phone close to your face anyother time....unless you type with your nose:p.

i've tried putting my finger over it, but it wasn't setting of the auto-brigtness......light fluctuations will though:cool:.

12. mjeagent

mjeagent New Member
    Bronze

Some may wonder why I am alone in a closet with my iPhone. I mean they know I like it a lot, but do they know I like it that much!

13. joe

joe New Member
    Gold

I'm pretty sure the sensor does not adjust the brightness except when waking from sleep (or turning on?).

14. rebelace

rebelace New Member
    Bronze

This feature seems to not work. When I first got my phone it worked fine I could obviously notice it changing then I went into the menu and turned it off and back on and messed with the slider and haven't noticed a change since. So I think I broke it :(

15. Zman-iPhone

Zman-iPhone New Member
    Bronze

ok i cant tell if its working.

ive searched through the forums and nothing.

i have auto-brightness on. about 40%.

i will unlock it in my room which is dark. then ill turn my lamp on and it gets brighter. then i turn it off, and nothing... don't you think that it should go beck to what it was before?

thanks to all

zman

16. adseguy

adseguy New Member
    Bronze

The iPhone probably doesn't poll the sensor that often. Try moving around in applications. I've done it and it works.

17. jordanabc2332

jordanabc2332 New Member

Thanks for bringing this up Zman. I've noticed the exact same thing. I don't think it's a polling issue because I've waiting several minutes. It just doesn't auto adjust from light to dark...only dark to light.

Anyone else try this?

18. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I have heard that it only polls the light sensor when waking up from sleep. While I haven't verified this 100%, it does "seem" to be the case with my iPhone.

--
    Mike

19. leeladisky

leeladisky New Member

Seems that it only polls after the screen is unlocked... try that.

L

20. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

That's what I meant by waking from sleep. I don't know how to to get to the unlock screen without the iPhone being asleep.

But yes, the actual polling does seem to take place after swiping-to-unlock is complete.

--
    Mike