Auto Correction issue

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

GlennS

Bronze
Jul 23, 2010
I have auto correction/spell check turned on (which I really appreciate) - HOWEVER...
Whenever I type the word "in", it gets changed to "i'n".

It is really frustrating - it is a pretty common word in English, whereas "I'n" must be some really obscure contraction.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Usually when this happens it means there's a contact in your addresses with that word in it... Maybe their name or email or something.

daver

Nov 23, 2009
My autocorrection always tries to correct the short version of my name, Kev, to keV. Go figure...
You too? LOL. I thought it was because I may have accidentally typed it that way, in a text, and sent it away to a friend of mine named Kevin aka kev. I thought it was going off of history.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
An eV is a unit of energy. A keV is kilo electron volt. A Kev is a really, really cool guy. :)

GlennS

Bronze
Jul 23, 2010
Is there any way to ignore some spellings -
Most spell checkers allow you to add to the dictionary - I can't find that capability on my iPhone 4.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Is there any way to ignore some spellings -
Most spell checkers allow you to add to the dictionary - I can't find that capability on my iPhone 4.
You can't manually add words to the dictionary, but if you decline the suggestion three or five times (never heard an official number), your iPhone should then add that word to your dictionary.

garpoonga

Bronze
Mar 21, 2011
Prince George
iPhone 4 running 4.3 , am I missing something or is this an Apple quirk ? When I shut off auto correction, check spelling also turns off ? Why ? Seems rather stupid to me. I despise auto correction but still want to see if I have spelled words wrong. Am I missing something or is this just the way it is with Apple? In my line of work there are lots of slang terms which constantly get changed by auto correction. I have found that this feature really slows me down.

Thanks,

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
iPhone 4 running 4.3 , am I missing something or is this an Apple quirk ? When I shut off auto correction, check spelling also turns off ? Why ? Seems rather stupid to me. I despise auto correction but still want to see if I have spelled words wrong. Am I missing something or is this just the way it is with Apple? In my line of work there are lots of slang terms which constantly get changed by auto correction. I have found that this feature really slows me down.

Thanks,
Lol. Not laughing at u but with you. Auto correction is frustrating to everyone and something I've learned to work with. I like my spelling getting corrected but hate also that some words I use get changed. Is supposed to learn what words u use and adapt them into your dictionary.

Spazzza

Bronze
Jan 13, 2011
I saw something on another thread that I haven't actually tried but but you may as well. Make a new contact and put you new words in the notes section of the field. Your phone will then see these as proper words and shouldn't correct them.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I saw something on another thread that I haven't actually tried but but you may as well. Make a new contact and put you new words in the notes section of the field. Your phone will then see these as proper words and shouldn't correct them.
I heard that also but heard it doesn't work