auto-dimming

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 12, 2007
okay so this isn't something that bothers me all that much but i did just wanna find out what exactly it dose ... yeah i know what it means but what the heck dose it do on the iPhone .. i have had it turned on ever since i got the phone but i don't see a difference in dimming when its light out or dark....becuse i don't really think that much into it cuse i dosent bother me weather i have it on or off might be the reason im not noticing its purpose on the phone so mabey some nice person in the forum could inform me on what its pourpose on the iPhone is ...

thanks !

muffinman

Sep 18, 2007
Then turn it off. Light sensors just wasting your battery. And it def. works for me - take it from a dark place, put it to sleep, take it to a bright place, wake it up and tlel me you don't see a difference.

And there are hundreds of posts asking the exact same question about auto-dimming. Click "Search" at the top and type in auto brightness for more details.

Shirazik

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Irvine, CA
Pretty much there is a sensor in the phone that senses the amount of light in the enviornment and adjust the screen brightness accordingly. So let's say the brightness slider is in the middle, if you go out in the sun the brightness will be set to half, which is what you set it as, but once you go into darkness like a low-lit room it will drop to a lower brightness since you don't need as much light in low-light enviornments. i Hope that makes sense.

According to some folks here auto-brightness DOES NOT save battery, so switch it off.

Sep 12, 2007
i knew what the concept of the auto dimmer was but i never really payed that much attention to it to really notice anything .. i have my brightness set all the way up and i still average 2-3 days without charging on it thats including talk time ... music .... internet .... and checking my mail when i recive it .. other then that i really don't have battery problems that why i just left it on....i mean if its "working" ill leave it on since thats how it was when i bought it but anyways thanks for the info on letting me know its purpose on the iPhone! ..

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
i knew what the concept of the auto dimmer was but i never really payed that much attention to it to really notice anything .. i have my brightness set all the way up and i still average 2-3 days without charging on it thats including talk time ... music .... internet .... and checking my mail when i recive it .. other then that i really don't have battery problems that why i just left it on....i mean if its "working" ill leave it on since thats how it was when i bought it but anyways thanks for the info on letting me know its purpose on the iPhone! ..
One more thing to keep in mind... the iPhone light sensor will only update when you wake it up. It's not a constant update thing... moving around won't cause any change. If you move from a light to dark room, you'll have to sleep, then wake the iPhone to have it adjust.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
One more thing to keep in mind... the iPhone light sensor will only update when you wake it up. It's not a constant update thing... moving around won't cause any change. If you move from a light to dark room, you'll have to sleep, then wake the iPhone to have it adjust.

Don't now why yours doesn't update.....mine updates within a second of going into a bright are darker area.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Don't now why yours doesn't update.....mine updates within a second of going into a bright are darker area.
Hmm, interesting... I haven't checked it recently to be honest... When it was first released, it was only on wake it actually modified the backlight (same as most devices btw).

I'll have to check it again... either I'm an idiot, or they made an update at some point.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
i hadnt ever noticed it doing anything when i had it on, but it does make sense if it only changes when you sleep/wake it. i had just turned it off since it neved seemed to do anything useful.

hughuy

Sep 21, 2007
i am having the same problem too! wtf man!
i turn off auto dimming and the brightness of the screen is at around 40%, but when i put it on sleep, turn it off, or whatever, and then turn it back on, the auto dimming is back on and the screen is dark again, while the auto dimming setting still displays being off. anyone know a way to fix this?