Auto docking station that charges and feeds into the car stereo?

Nov 11, 2008
Nubie here. Just bought my first iPhone and said good by to the Sprint empire. I have looked far and wide and have yet to find a base mount station for autos that charges the phone and plays music on the autos own stereo system. My wife’s new Subaru has a way cool port and an AUX selection on the stereo interface.

Buddy of mine says his brother got something like this in Canada.

Also there is a lot of talk out there of 12 volt auto cigarette chargers frying the iPhone. Some say it is because the phone have a 5 volt input.

I can’t be the first to walk this path

Woodduck

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I use a product called USA Spec. It is a small device that plugs into your stereo to play your iPhone (and charge it too) on your car stereo. The version I have is older so it does not charge the 3G (only the v1). But they have a new cable that remedies that. I just need to order the new cable. It's an involved install so it might not be what you're looking for. It actually has 2 channels to play from, so I use it for my iPhone and my Sirius satellite on the other channell.

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
I use a product called USA Spec. It is a small device that plugs into your stereo to play your iPhone (and charge it too) on your car stereo. The version I have is older so it does not charge the 3G (only the v1). But they have a new cable that remedies that. I just need to order the new cable. It's an involved install so it might not be what you're looking for. It actually has 2 channels to play from, so I use it for my iPhone and my Sirius satellite on the other channell.
Could you post a link on where to buy it, PapaST? And how involved is the install?

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
http://www.usaspec.com/ This device is only designed to work with certain cars. Check the website for your model. I have a 4runner so it worked out great.

It's about the size and look of a SMALL power inverter. cables run to the back of your car stereo to plug it up and from the other end cables run to your iPhone/other device. So basically you'll have to pull your stereo and find a place to tuck the device. Then run the plug in cables to a spot where you will be plugging in your iPhone.

The thing I dig about it is it integrates it with your stereo so you can use your steering wheel buttons to control the iPhone.

w9awx

Jan 8, 2009
Wisconsin
Another cheaper option, at least temporarily is to get a FM Modulator for your iPhone. Connected to the docking port, charges your phone, and allows you to play your music. You Tube has some great videos of different options and radios that will work with the iPhone.

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
I use the Kensington liquid aux.
This charger has a "line out" headphone jack on the cig lighter plug which can be plugged into your aux input of the car.

I have a hidden 12v socket inside the console of my car, so all of the wires are completely out of sight.

As a bonus, the liquid aux comes with a remote control that works nicely.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR824LL/A

I bought mine from amazon for cheaper than the Apple store price.

They also offer a deluxe model that has a cradle to hold the phone:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR951LL/A

If your car has an aux input, i'd suggest using that and NOT the fm modulator. The sound quality will be much better with the aux input.