Auto rotate just stopped working on iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by fletcher11, Jan 8, 2010.

1. fletcher11

fletcher11 Member
    Bronze

i have just noticed that when on safari and other apps i cant get my iPhone 3gs to rotate anymore it was fine actually it does not work on anything, i have downloaded a few apps and pic some pictures and music on but nothing else to have caused the problem that i can think of, can anyone help me out please.

2. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot
    Gold

Let's start with the simple things first. Did you try a power off/on recycle? Sometimes things stop working when a reboot/refresh is needed.

3. fletcher11

fletcher11 Member
    Bronze

yes i have rebooted servral times now. i have just tried it again and does not work

4. fletcher11

fletcher11 Member
    Bronze

don't worry i sorted it i have sbs settings and auto rotation had been turned off thanks for your help though.

5. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I've seen that option in SBS settings and wondering what it is for? Wonder why anyone would NOT want auto-rotate? Anyhow, glad you figured it out :)

6. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

It actually does come in handy. I teach a college Bible study and I walk around while I teach so the app I was using would rotate as I moved my hands and I would be ready to read a verse and I would have to wait for it to rotate back. Doesn't seem like a problem but I guess I'm an animated speaker and it would really slow me down 5-6 times a night.

7. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

ah ha, now I see there are reasons for wanting to disable auto-rotate :eek:k:eek:k

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It drives me insane when the screen flips back and forth while I'm lying on my side in bed. I have the rotation inhibitor toggle in SBSettings and always leave rotation turned off.

9. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

ok, you guys/gals have convinced me that there are times when auto-rotate is "inconvenient". When I am using Navigon in my vehicle and have the iPhone laying flat on the center console, the iPhone gets confused a lot and changes between portrait and landscape. Now I know that I can disable auto-rotate and keep it in portrait mode.

Thanks for the examples :)

10. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

You've been schooled Apple4me!;)

11. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

This just made me laugh "Aaaaaahhhh my phones broken... No, wait, I forgot about the toggle in SBSettings"

Ha ha ha.

I did a similar thing with SSH, it wouldn't connect at all. I was trying for about 30minutes, then I was like... You F'ing idiot (there is a toggle for SSH as well). It's easily done.

@Apple, you've found another useful tool to add to your growing collection of apps and toggles and other mobile substrate add-ons.

12. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

acutally, if you want a good example of why turning the rotation off, do this:

turn your 3gs on to take video, then record in landscape and not portrait. now stop it and play it back. you now have to watch the video sideways.

13. IvorTheIpod

IvorTheIpod New Member
    Bronze

Exactly my problem. Hope this isn't just for jailbreak. Going see now :D

14. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

It's a jailbrake app :(

15. IvorTheIpod

IvorTheIpod New Member
    Bronze

Hahahha that sucks. I'm just gona have to drive hard the idea or jailbreaking to my parents in February.Tell me, how long is the warranty on an iPod touch.

16. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

One very long year :D

17. IvorTheIpod

IvorTheIpod New Member
    Bronze

Oh you have to be kidding :( I can't wait that long :S
    I'm sure I can convince them it's a good idea, I
    nearly convinced her with that thread I asked evevrybody to post in. But seriously I have to het jailbroken before next Christmas

18. mr.reggaeton72

Silver

wow, i didn't know you can turn off auto rotating, its annoying for me, when im laying down...and i get my phone, and i hold it in landscape mode, i want it to stay in portrait mode,...but this sbs toggle, = another reason to jailbreak..

19. trmann

trmann New Member

Auto rotate problems

Hello, newbie here. My iPhone 3gs just suddenly stopped auto rotating. I noticed a previous post mentioned SBS settings. Can someone please explain what these are and where I might find them.

Thanks,

Tom

20. trmann

trmann New Member

I should note, my phone is not jailbroken.