AutoBrightness!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Shirazik

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Irvine, CA
Now, I know this is partially preference, but I would like to know the facts...Does auto brightness INCREASE or DECREASE battery life, or is it insignificant?

Just want to clear it up.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Auto brightness will decrease battery life, keep it at least half way or maybe slightly brighter than that. Keep auto set to off.
Really... are you sure that it decreases it? I mean I don't have any evidence either way, but my own logical thinking would be that having it turn down the brightness when you don't need it would actually increase the battery life, right?

zerosine

Oct 13, 2008
Really... are you sure that it decreases it? I mean I don't have any evidence either way, but my own logical thinking would be that having it turn down the brightness when you don't need it would actually increase the battery life, right?
Well if you think about the components that are used to actually allow this feature to work it makes sense.

On the surface of the glass of the phone, there is a sensor to detect your surrounding's light. If the auto-brightness feature is enabled, so is the sensor device -- thus enabling one more piece of hardware on your phone that requires more battery consumption than if it were off. :)

HOW much battery in question is a good question, however to answer the question directly... yes, it does use MORE battery than if it were simply off.

As suggested, it would be best to use a few notches above the Lowest Brightness setting, and DISABLE the auto-brightness feature. `=] That's what I do anyway. I also disable WIFI, 3G and PUSH completely unless they are need or I am physically connected to a power source.