Autocomplete of Email Address Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Murphy5156, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Murphy5156

Murphy5156 New Member

Is there a way to delete addresses from the "auto complete" email address feature when composing new mail? When you start typing a contact name the iPhone gives a list of possible matches for you to choose from. Some of those suggestions are either out of date or addresses I only used once. Is there a way to delete them so the iPhone doesn't offer them to me in the future? Thanks!
  2. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

Unfortunately, no. There are no user controls for that feature. If you have out-of-date contacts, why not clean up them up a bit?
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

You can't...I posted a thread on this a while back...I even tried erasing the phone and re-syncing. That did not work, so don't bother going through that 2 hour process Murphy5156.

psylichon...I know exactly what he's talking about. We can delete the contact from our phone and outlook, but once you've used it or replied to it on the iPhone, it keeps it there (as a temporary file I guess) and there is no way (that I know of) to delete that off the phone.
  5. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  6. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot

re-syncing your phone as new is the only way.
  7. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot

That one is new to me! I thought that the addresses showing up in the mail application only is from my contact list/groups, and not some mail address(es) I only have used one time!

I know Outlook are doing this, and you can easily change the settings for this.
  8. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

this doesn't work...tried it...
  9. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot

Worked for me. wiped it out completly new.
  10. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

I just wanted to update these two threads on this topic...I imagine that it's been nearly 2 months now since I tried to delete the temporary email address that I wanted to delete....long story short...it's gone now.

So I would have to assume that after all the things that I tried and didn't work, my best guess is that there is some kind of time limit or expiration for temporary data that is not used so it's then cleared/deleted. I'm not sure how long, but this seems to be the logical explaination.

Thoughts anyone...?
  11. loopyl00

loopyl00 New Member

this piece of software allows you to see recent emails that you've used (not in your contacts) ibackupbot http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

It uses the latest backup so backup before you start - then use the widget at the top to view recent email addressees, remove the offending ones and restore back to your phone - much better solution that going back to factory settings