Automatic downloading of apps not working?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I just downloaded an app — that new Google Translate app that supposedly translates in real time (the mileage on that is going to vary like crazy, I'm sure).

I was on my iMac when I read the article, so I decided to download it to my iMac via iTunes, expecting it would show up almost immediately on my iPhone, but it failed to do so.

I have verified on my iPhone that Settings > iTunes & App Store > Automatic Downloads is toggled ON for Apps:

autodown.jpg (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

My iPhone is and has been on Wi-Fi all evening.

Any ideas as to what's up with this anomaly?

Now, it seems that if I want that Google Translate app on my iPhone (which I obviously do, since it's useless there on my iMac on iTunes' collection of every single app I've ever downloaded), I'm going to have to launch the App Store app, tap on Updates, tap on Purchased which shows that oddball P with a downward-pointing arrow as a descender (what the heck is that supposed to be, anyways? That P is inconsistent with any and all fonts used anywhere else on iOS!):

Pxsmall.jpg

Then, I'm going to have to tap on Not on This iPhone, then scroll down to reveal the Search bar. In the search bar, I'll have to type a keyword like "Translate" to bring up that "Google Translate" app that failed to download automatically, and then finally I'll have tap on the download from the cloud icon to make the app download—all of this like if I was some sort of Neanderthal!

I thought it was supposed to "just work."

PS: I have also verified that it successfully downloaded to my iTunes on my iMac. There's the app, and there's the Get Info window for it:

onmyiMac.jpg

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

May just take a bit of time. Not everything is instantaneous ;)

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Okay, Mr. Monkey, if you say so, but it's been a few hours, and I'm still here tapping my foot impatiently.

Downloaded to my iMac via iTunes yesterday (the 14th) at 10:51 PM:

Google Translate app install time.jpg

It is now January 15th at 1:55 AM and the app has not shown up on my iPhone yet.

I trust you because you're a fellow Floridian, so I'm going to keep on waiting. I'm not going to go to sleep until the app appears on my iPhone. :D

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Wouldn't it have been easier to just download it on your phone without using a computer?
    I've been using Google Translate for over 2 years. It has a new Word Lens feature. There is a Word Lens app that I tried some months ago. But I found I had no use for it here in my area. You might find that feature useful in Miami though.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421332752.557695.jpg
    Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

#4 Ledsteplin, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Nope, not in this case. I was on my iMac reading an article about the new feature (the same one I linked to in my original post). The article provided a link to the app. So my easiest route for obtaining the app was exactly the one I took—download the app with a few mouse clicks on my iMac (using the link that was helpfully provided by the article's author) and have the app waiting for me when I picked my iPhone. I've done it many times before.

Unfortunately, the app never showed up. Maybe the phone needs to be rebooted. These days, it seems as though if you so much as look at your iPhone the wrong way, it needs to be rebooted. :D

By the way, in Miami, a lot of people speak Spanglish, which is a rather arbitrary and disorderly mix of English and Spanish. It is far from uniform… The Spanglish spoken in one zip code can be different from the one spoken in another. No app can help you here.

I was going to download the app solely for amusement purposes.

#5 Rafagon, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't understand what is so difficult about searching for it on your phone and downloading it.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There is absolutely nothing difficult about it. I could've done it in a fraction of the time it took me to compose the post. I'm just wondering why something that should work and that has worked flawlessly in the past suddenly doesn't.

There is some degree of exaggeration of the difficulty of the task in my original post :)

But I do like this automatic downloading feature (you download it on your Mac, it shows up automatically on your iPhone) and I would like to be able to use it again in the future. It's upsetting when features just break for seemingly no reason at all.

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Guess it's the principle :D

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

In case anyone is interested:

Two days after I created this thread, I downloaded an iOS app onto my iMac and I noticed that it automatically downloaded to my iPhone as well, as expected. Automatic downloading was working! So why hadn't it worked with the Google Translate app?

One possible explanation has come to mind: As most of us know, if you have previously downloaded an app, and later at some point you deleted it from all your devices, then next time you attempt to download said app, instead of a "Get" (or price) button you will see a "Download" button:

Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 12.32.11 PM.png (thumbnail; click to expand)

If you click on "Download", the app will in fact download, but only to that device which you are using at that moment (in my case, it was my iMac), and automatic downloading to all other devices logged into the same Apple ID does not apply. However, the purchase date on the app's Get Info window on iTunes gets updated to the new "purchase" date, which is somewhat misleading.

Here's my example (I originally downloaded this app this past Friday, yet it shows today's purchase date because I deleted it and re-downloaded it):

newpurchasedate.jpg

Truth be told, I don't remember if I saw "Get" or "Download" when I downloaded the Google Translate app onto my iMac last week and it failed to automatically download to my iPhone, but it is quite possible that at some point in the past I had downloaded the app, then later deleted it. Therefore, last week's download of the app would not have been a first-time download of that app.

As has been pointed out, if automatic downloading should fail once, it is unbelievably easy to manually search for and download one app on the App Store using your iDevice. But there might just come a time when you're on your desktop reading one of those "Today You Can Get These Apps For Free!"-type articles (or not free, whatever) and you spot three or four apps that you think you might like. It's quite the convenience when you are able to Cmd+click on the links to the apps right there on the article (if the author took the time to provide them), download the apps via iTunes, and when you get to your iPhone later in the evening, all the apps are there ready for you to test drive.

#9 Rafagon, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015