AUX connection?

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Hope this isn't a stupid question..I just got a new car, which has an aux connector. What connector wire do I use to connect my iPhone to play music in the car?

Thanks!

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
so there is no cable that doesn't require an adapter as well?

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
No I'm confused. After doing a ton of searching it looks like the first cable that The Apple posted is all that is needed.
Can someone that knows please reply to this. I read somewhere that the iPhone will only work with the type of audio connectors that I posted pictures of. Something about it needed the 3 ring type of connectors. That's why you can't use standard headphones in an iPhone.
Anyone know for sure?

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I've used Bose headphones with my iPhone. The connector that goes into the iPhone has two rings.. I did actually have a problem with a set breaking after I used them a couple of times (sound would only come out of one side).. Are Bose headsets not compatable with iPhone?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Read the reviews on the cable I posted and you will see there is no need for an adapter. It works perfectly with the iPhone.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Assuming that your AUX input on your stereo is 1/8" stereo input, then the cable that the Apple linked will work without an adaptor. It's designed to fit in the recessed headphone port of the iPhone. The reason that some people were saying you needed an adaptor is that most stereo cables that are not designed for the iPhone are too big to fit in the recessed jack of the iPhone, but this one will work fine.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
FYI, the 3-conductor connector (tip, ring, sleeve) carries stereo audio (left, right, common ground). The 4-conductor tips add a microphone signal (for earbuds that have them, like the ones that came with your phone). The 4-conductor recepticle on the phone is designed to also accept 3-conductor connections, as long as they fit in that annoyingly recessed hole.

The 4th conductor you see on most iPhone headphone adapters is tied to ground and does nothing.

Just thought I'd clarify for those who give a hoot.