Available Storage Space

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by jalalawi, Aug 15, 2014.

1. jalalawi

jalalawi Member
    Bronze

I have backup my iPhone and the storage space were at around 5.5GB and on same they I have rest my iPhone by deleting all the contents and then I have restored my last backup and found that the storage space has been increased to +10GB!!! I have checked all the restored data and found that everything have been restored and wondered from where the extra 5GB came??!!

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It's may be what many call "Other". It's unexplainable data that takes up storage space on our phones. It's mostly comprised of corrupted data, broken links and other junk. Sometimes "Other" can take up a bunch if space. 5 gb is not that unusual for "Other". The fix for it is exactly what you did. A restore. Enjoy your recovered 5 gb of space. This article talks about "Other" and offers advise about how to manage your storage.

http://www.popsugar.com/tech/What-Other-iPhone-Storage-30986511

3. jalalawi

jalalawi Member
    Bronze

Is there any application can fix it without backup & restore?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. You have to restore.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

No. If it's "Other" taking up space, only a restore will get rid of it. But if you have just done that, I doubt you'll have that issue again anytime soon. You will probably upgrade your 4s before that would happen again. Often times the "Other" is old messages that never got deleted and built up. Be sure to keep your iMessages and SMS messages deleted. I've seen people with 3 gb of messages on their phone. I probably have some "Other" on my iPhone 5. I have about 5 gb available out of about 13 gb. It doesn't add up. But I'll be ok until I upgrade to the iPhone 6 in February. You can organize your photos into folders in Box and Dropbox.