Average Activation Time in the Southeast?

Socialthinker

Jun 29, 2007
can someone explain what it does when it's actually activated? do you need to get that email or does it just let you know? does the phone just start working? any noise or text message? just so i have an idea if i should stare at my inbox or constantly push the button on the phone... haha. i'm getting obsessive at this point.

I think I share Mandy's sentiment here....I've hit the "Send/Receive" button on my email at least a thousand times! But I guess there's hope....a couple three-hour-waiters rogering up....so hopefully the end is near. (still like to know what to expect when it finally activates though)

travelgirl

Jun 21, 2007
West Virginia
www.cbluetravel.com
The way mine happened was I did the thing on iTunes and it said it was in the process of activating. I goofed around on the internet for a little while and then got an email that said this:

Congratulations, AT&T is now transferring your existing mobile number to this iPhone.

Your iPhone mobile number will be:

123-456-7890 (Ha Ha, I changed this so you guys wouldn't get my REAL number)

Your iPhone may now make outgoing calls but will be unable to receive calls on your existing mobile number until the transfer is complete.

You will receive an email confirmation once your mobile number transfer is complete. If you have not done so already, please connect your iPhone to your computer now to complete this activation (or click here if your iPhone is already connected).

---Then a while later I got this email

Congratulations, AT&T has successfuly transferred your existing mobile number.

Your iPhone mobile number is:

123-456-7890

After that I was able to do everything.

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I think I share Mandy's sentiment here....I've hit the "Send/Receive" button on my email at least a thousand times! But I guess there's hope....a couple three-hour-waiters rogering up....so hopefully the end is near. (still like to know what to expect when it finally activates though)
Same here!

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
My first attempt to activate failed since I have a government discount on my current AT&T account. I was on hold for the businesss unit to get the discount temporarily removed so I could replace a phone on my family plan. After 58 minutes on hold I got dumped.

I just activated it like a new customer and it took about 3 minutes.

I am in Orlando, FL. I do have AT&T dsl so maybe that helped since I did not have to route out to another ISP.

mattmanatl

Jun 29, 2007
ATL still waiting...

should I go to bed...? or should I wait... ok... I'll keep waiting... I can't believe I have it, but I can't use it yet... but then again... I have one...

Socialthinker

Jun 29, 2007
I think we should all lobby AT&T to provide one free iTunes download for every six minutes that we had to wait....huh, who's with me?

Crash27k

Jun 29, 2007
I do not think this is akward. I switched from Sprint to Cingular last year and it took a while to get the number switched. Just blows

matyb2233

Jun 24, 2007
I'm in NC....noticed some people from GA have been endlessly waiting on the fabled activation email....anyone else in the southeast having the same problem? Also noticed that at least one poster (JP-something) finally got theirs activated....if you're reading....what was your wait time? Same goes for anyone else in the region...how long did you wait?

P.S. Seems to be affecting existing customers mostly....interested in hearing from those folks....
I am going on Five HOurs of Endless fun. In the GA.. But might i ad that the emergency function looks nice!

MandyCh1ck

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I do not think this is akward. I switched from Sprint to Cingular last year and it took a while to get the number switched. Just blows
but i do think this is pretty sad for existing Cingular/AT&T customers, why does it seem that ours are taking longer?

mattmanatl

Jun 29, 2007
Still waiting in ATL...

I don't want to bash APPLE or AT&T, but as an existing customer or AT&T, this should have taken no time at all... I can't believe I'm still waiting, any updates on activation status of others in ATL or GA...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It's just one of those things. I got the Needs Additional to Activate message at 6:58 Eastern. It's now almost 5 hours later and still no activation. They finally told me it was probably a defective SIM card. If it doesn't activate by in the morning, I'm taking it back to ask for another SIM card.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Charlotte NC
4 + hours, still waiting
Old voice plan on an existing cingular account
A friend of mine called ATT, they said the server was overloaded... 2 or more hour wait... think it should be updated by morning. Fitting prediction since it's approaching midnight.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
It's just one of those things. I got the Needs Additional to Activate message at 6:58 Eastern. It's now almost 5 hours later and still no activation. They finally told me it was probably a defective SIM card. If it doesn't activate by in the morning, I'm taking it back to ask for another SIM card.
Did you get an email from ATT?

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Don't tell me a defective SIM that would SUCK! This can't be happening...
I would bet more on the side of just server load, there are tons of people trying to do it at once. AT&T had a major server crash while I was trying to buy it today as well.