Average battery life?

gary88

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
Here's my battery stats of lately. Is this considered normal, or above average? My battery just went into the red today.

Usage: 5 hours
Standby: 2 days 2 hours

Call time: 6 minutes

EDGE
Sent: 2.2mb
Received: 12.8mb

...and about 1.5 hours of listening to music

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Actually that's very good. Congrats :)

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Actually that's very good. Congrats :)
Agree. Two full days+ for a smartphone with 5 hours of usage is not common..

Trust me, a Treo, Blackjack, Q, Pearl, Curve and maybe even the 8800 would not be able to pull this off.

...and ANYthing (smartphone) 3G will be wheeeezing long before this.

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Here's my battery stats of lately. Is this considered normal, or above average? My battery just went into the red today.

Usage: 5 hours
Standby: 2 days 2 hours

Call time: 6 minutes

EDGE
Sent: 2.2mb
Received: 12.8mb

...and about 1.5 hours of listening to music
You are experiencing normal battery usage.

harleyboy

Sep 15, 2007
I have a new iPhone and I suspect my battery life is not good. I charged the thing fully overnight. Unplugged it at 8am this morning, talked on it twices for a total time of 30 minutes during the day. I demoed the web browser to a few people. The phone was dead by 4pm the same day.

I feel like I have to carry a charger with me everywhere I go. If this is normal than Apple needs to go back to the drawing board. The new Ipod battery life is amazing. I was expecting a lot more. My blackberry would last for 3-4 days without needing a charge.

Maybe I have a defective battery?

What do others think?

thanks

Mark

iPhone69

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
South Florida
I have afunny feeling that the iPhone battery is a lot like a deisel engine. At the beginning the gas mileage(battery life) sucks, as it gets more miles on it( more charges its gone through) the better you mpg will be( daily charge value) but that's just my thought

Jul 15, 2007
www.submissiveophelia.com
I have a new iPhone and I suspect my battery life is not good. I charged the thing fully overnight. Unplugged it at 8am this morning, talked on it twices for a total time of 30 minutes during the day. I demoed the web browser to a few people. The phone was dead by 4pm the same day.

I feel like I have to carry a charger with me everywhere I go. If this is normal than Apple needs to go back to the drawing board. The new Ipod battery life is amazing. I was expecting a lot more. My blackberry would last for 3-4 days without needing a charge.

What do others think?

thanks

Mark

Sounds about average to me! You received a lot of data.
I usually charge every other day or so. That is without watching much video/ipod and with using the web just a little bit. some talking,too.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
I've got about 55% left and my usage is

3h 37m usage
22 hours, 1 minute on standby.

bluetooth, wifi, are off and the phone is on autobright. i've downloaded 3mb off EDGE and no wifi at all.

is my battery lacking? seems as if guy #1 is getting a great lifespan. i've done very little talking, mostly email and i used the ipod a bit.

Dawrenn

Sep 18, 2007
I got 60% left with 7 hours and 54 minutes of usage and 1 day of standby. Is that good?

diesel

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
NYC
I average 6+ hours of usage (no ipod but mostly emails - six accounts, safari........instant messaging through beejive, texting, and limited phone calls) on a full charge. When recycling my battery once a month, I notice the standby time will be about 2+ days.

BTW......i charge every night when i go to bed. And as I said, once a month i will drain my battery completely and recharge to "recalibrate" the battery monitor.

All in all, i am very pleased and impressed by the battery life

fright88

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
I don't use the phone much but I use my phone for web browsing and watching videos about 3-4 hours a day total. On the other hand I get low batteyevery day about 3/4 through the day

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I got 60% left with 7 hours and 54 minutes of usage and 1 day of standby. Is that good?
I really hope you're kidding because if not, I am really really jealous. I've already replaced my phone twice for poor battery life and this third phone's battery life still isn't impressing me. I have to charge it twice a day - once mid afternoon and another at night. Sooooooooo annoying.

Is your usage Internet time or just iPod time?

Wet1

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
CT Shoreline
While I'm not completely disappointed in the battery life on mine, I'm not overly impressed either. This is my first smart phone and I guess I expected it to last a little longer than it does.

With that said, I just ordered one of these for my long days of traveling when I want to watch a couple of movies...
http://www.amazon.com/MusicPower-Ch...0-6448107?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1190131542&sr=8-33

Between this extender/AC charger and my car adapter, it will be tough for me to be stuck with a dead battery.
:cool:

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have afunny feeling that the iPhone battery is a lot like a deisel engine. At the beginning the gas mileage(battery life) sucks, as it gets more miles on it( more charges its gone through) the better you mpg will be( daily charge value) but that's just my thought
All engines are like this...

another tidbit... it is actually bad to use full synthetic oil on a brand new engine as the oil is actually TOO good in that it does not allow the rings to seat well inside the cylinders. Half synthetic/half regular oil during break-in and then move onto full synthetic....

Dawrenn

Sep 18, 2007
I really hope you're kidding because if not, I am really really jealous. I've already replaced my phone twice for poor battery life and this third phone's battery life still isn't impressing me. I have to charge it twice a day - once mid afternoon and another at night. Sooooooooo annoying.

Is your usage Internet time or just iPod time?
Im not, I just got the 20% warning and its at 13 hours and 8 minuted and its at 1 day and 9 hours for standby. Its mostly internet usage.

bambam26

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have had my phone a week and a half, and so far I am getting 4 hours usage and 13 hours standby, I have to charge it every night cause it is in the red. I think I will contact Apple about this. I better mileage out of my Blackjack and it ran 3g.... Very disappointed, I get the same amount of email as before and the new has wore off so I am not constantly playing with it.

:(

Called tech support today, they are sending me a loner and my phone is going in for repair kinds sucks since it is a week and a half old. I hope things get better. I had a nano that craped out on me after a few months also, I said then i would never buy Apple again, till I got this now I feel like I made a mistake. I also am a lil bit heated at the fact that I have to pay to get it fixed. Choices where pay 30 bucks for the loaner and send it back or pay 60 for Apple care and be covered for 2 years and a free loaner and shipping if they can not find a problem with the phone.

My next question is if anyone has done this what is the process, they stated that the iPhone I am getting as a loner is new so why not just let me keep the new phone and not send the one I have now back, I don't understand this terminology at all. Plus if they do replace my phone, I will have to buy a new screen protector so I am out 15 bucks more. I am calling them again about the screen protector since I bought that form Apple as well. This is really a shi**y situation.

Dawrenn

Sep 18, 2007
Right now its at about 65% with 8 hours and 31 minutes of usage and 1 day And 23 hours of standby.

MACGIRL34

Sep 18, 2007
battery ?

So when our batteries eventually die where or how do you replace it? Is there a replacement?

JiggyMatt

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
agreed. for the first month my battery life was shaky. Now if can get 2 days easy with a lot of use.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.

What do others think?

thanks

Mark
don't forget theres a fully functioning ipod with video, and the internet, when comparing to another phone you have to come using the same features