Avoid Screenshot.app

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
I installed it today and it caused my phone to do things visually I didn't know my phone could do.
I had flashing bars across the screen. The Apple "timer thing/clock" was the size of a half dollar and wouldn't leave. My entire desktop (on the phone) was flashing like a neon sign. And when I finally got the phone to at least not be an arcade game, I could get apps open, but once I opened them, the touchscreen was dead.

With the help of iPhone browser I deleted the app and it left two icons of the Screenshot app on the screen and NOTHING I did could get rid of them.

With the help of Enigmatic, I found the remnants of the app, deleted it an everything is fine.

Without Enigmatic's help I would be a very unhappy 1.1.4.
Thanks again.

AVOID THIS APP.
I have never had a problem with my phone in over 4 months and I came within inches of my first restore.
Avoid at all costs.

Caveat Emptor.

Dana

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yeh, if you don't leave SSH open so you can delete the screenshot files in the /bin directory you're pretty much borked D:

Learned this one the hard way after SummerBoard reset my springboard after changing themes. Wanted to grab pics for the forum, now I know to close screenshot app before hand :T

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Sorry, I did not do a search for the solution.

I guess if I had done more research, I would never have installed that piece of garbage app.

Dana

Nov 24, 2007
I installed it today and it caused my phone to do things visually I didn't know my phone could do.
I had flashing bars across the screen. The Apple "timer thing/clock" was the size of a half dollar and wouldn't leave. My entire desktop (on the phone) was flashing like a neon sign. And when I finally got the phone to at least not be an arcade game, I could get apps open, but once I opened them, the touchscreen was dead.

With the help of iPhone browser I deleted the app and it left two icons of the Screenshot app on the screen and NOTHING I did could get rid of them.

With the help of Enigmatic, I found the remnants of the app, deleted it an everything is fine.

Without Enigmatic's help I would be a very unhappy 1.1.4.
Thanks again.

AVOID THIS APP.
I have never had a problem with my phone in over 4 months and I came within inches of my first restore.
Avoid at all costs.

Caveat Emptor.

Dana

do u get black & white bars across the screen after u power on? or just random times ?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've been using Screenshot on 1.1.3 for over a month without issues, until yesterday. I was taking a picture and accidentally locked the phone - it froze, and after a minute, rebooted. I had it set to boot in verbose mode, so the text started to scroll, then got stuck somewhere. Then the lines started flashing and there was nothing I could do. No SSH, rebooting wouldn't work - I had to Restore.

I'm now on a stock 1.1.4 - I considered re-jailbreaking, but I figured I'd wait to see what happens tomorrow. If nothing, I'll jailbreak again.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
John did you have version 1.2.1? They just updated screenshot, yesterday or the day before. I have not had any problems. I would vote it #1 3P App...Mark
Most likely - I update everything that pops up in Installer.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I've also used this app from when it was first launched, and like it a lot, mainly because it's the only real GUI screenshot utlity out there. I can't say I've never had a problem with it, as it is prone to lockups and trouble-making if it's active on a Springboard respring etc. - but (touch wood) none have been unrecoverable so far. I've seen some of the screen going berzerko and all that, but a hard reset has always got me past that, and for some time I've know to always close it down right after using it.

Having said that, the developers should definitely be looking to make this a better behaved app, one that is capable of exiting gracefully when necessary, or shutting its own processes down after X amount of idle time, or whatever it takes ...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I posted a thread here on the matter when I had experienced this problem as well.

I'll save y'all the trouble of searching and parse the fix here in this thread since its active.

To fix it, you need SSH running and then must browse to:

/usr/bin/

and delete the screenshot folder there, (/usr/bin/screenshot)

After that, restart your phone and you should be back to normal.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SSH RUNNING
Try to sync and backup because guess what? Its time to restore and rejailbreak :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
John. My condolences.

Maybe it is time for a sticky on this?

Dana
Thanks. I was thinking of restoring anyway, what with the SDK event tomorrow - however I did experience my first 'argg, why did I have to Restore' when I did it - six weeks is the longest period of time I've been jailbroken, and I had some nice stuff on there.

- John

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks. I was thinking of restoring anyway, what with the SDK event tomorrow - however I did experience my first 'argg, why did I have to Restore' when I did it - six weeks is the longest period of time I've been jailbroken, and I had some nice stuff on there.

- John
I thought tomorrows event was just to let people know what to expect the SDK could do, and that the kits were going officially start to be rolled out to all candidates, not just the privileged ones.

Nov 24, 2007
So great to know that its not a serious hardware problem, my iPhone proably cost me about a $1000 so far, and a near miss on a $37000 phonebill.. ya lol

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I thought tomorrows event was just to let people know what to expect the SDK could do, and that the kits were going officially start to be rolled out to all candidates, not just the privileged ones.
That's what some people assume. I'm not assuming anything or hoping for anything - I'm just going to see what happens. Nobody has any idea about what's happening other than it has to do with the SDK.

- John

Shotta876

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
I had the iPhone since launch, and now because of this garbage, I am getting a new phone first thing around noon. I'm going to throw this phone somewhere instead of giving it away -- perhaps into a river. I'm not dealing with this crap anymore; I don't have the time to restore my entire phone and unlock it over again because of some piece of crap program that the retarded Installer fails to give warning about.

Now, I can't access anything on my phone:

Once I go into a program (even SMS or my missed calls) I can't scroll up or down, click anything.. nothing.