Awesome free application switcher.. Kirikae now on Cydia.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I haven't seen any threads on this so I thought I'd start one. I got it yesterday and I must say it works pretty well, especially if you have backgrounder installed as well. From any application all you have to do is double click the home button and it will bring up all the current running apps. From there you can switch to any app you want. If you have backgrounder installed, it will enable backgrounder on the app you are running and open the other application. It is so sweet!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
mQuickDo does this much better... all you do is certain preset swipes across your screen and it works perfectly. I'd check it out, it's totally changed the way in which I use the phone.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Kirikae is free and has virtually no learning curve, unlike mQuickDo. In my books, "free" trumps everytime. ;)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
You maybe right, but usually in my experience paying for apps, usually means there better.

I suggest the OP still tries mQuickDo. If they don't like it then fair enough, but it really is a good, well designed application. I'm sure i'm not the only one on here that likes mQuickDo.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I agree totally with iPhonewarrior. mQuickDo has definitely changed the way I use my 3GS. Nothing against Kirikae, but free does not always equal better, or none of us would have iPhones.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I completely understand and agree with you iPhonewarrior, but I already tried it and I uninstalled it the same day. A great app but just not for me. This app is just what I needed, very simple and straightforward. I also agree with kakofonix, free is the way to go. ^_^

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I agree totally with iPhonewarrior. mQuickDo has definitely changed the way I use my 3GS. Nothing against Kirikae, but free does not always equal better, or none of us would have iPhones.
Kevin, you deserve a thanks in return as you were the person that informed me of this app.

I don't understand why the majority of people go for the cheaper/free option.

These apps cost money because they are good, the devs know they are good.

I really would try it, you will not be unhappy with your purchase. The gestures/swipes are easy enough to learn, you could master them in 5 minutes.

Just do it.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well, mQuickDo does have a small learning curve.

In this day and age of instant gratification and short attention spans, a lot of really good apps get passed up.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
LMAO! Is this a pissing contest or what? I was speaking for myself. Mind you, I do have mQuickDo and, to state the obvious, paid for it.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
LOL... Everyone has preferences and likes. I think everyone can agree and respect that.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
LMAO.. I don't understand what this whole thing has turned to. I was just trying to talk about an application that I think is very useful. You guys already have an app that you use and like, so why are you getting irritated that I found another one that I like and will probably use as opposed to using the one you like? I said it before, mQuickdo is a great app, but I DO NOT want to use it. Its my preference.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Your getting this all wrong.

I do not have a problem with what you choose to use. Chill out.

We are only playing. Reading back over this thread, I/we have said nothing to upset/offend anyone.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Y'all good sport!:eek:k:eek:k

I particularly like the golden urinal...will add it to my assenal (or is that arsenal?) :sneaky:

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Your getting this all wrong.

I do not have a problem with what you choose to use. Chill out.

We are only playing. Reading back over this thread, I/we have said nothing to upset/offend anyone.
lol.. good to know. Not that I was upset or offended, but I just really like this app. :eek:k:eek:k

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'll probably give this app a look, but here's two things I like better about mQuickDo right away:

It doesn't make use of the home button - which both saves a bit of wear and tear, and keeps that freed up to use it as standard for a favorite to launch with a double tap

More importantly, if I've understood this new app correctly, it only lets you switch to apps running in the background. I've found I don't need to do that - I use mQuickDo to switch between my most commonly used apps, and I let them launch fresh each time. This saves battery life, and I've seen virtually zero difference in speed of launching.

rojocrandall

Bronze
Mar 2, 2009
Thanks for the heads up jptolife - Kirikae is just what I needed - quick, simple, and free way to access my backgrounded apps. (The old pre-3.0 Backgrounder had this built in.) Maybe someday if I have the time, I'll look into mQuickDo. Don't need a big fat do-it-all knife in my pocket when a slender single blade will do.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
This app does what it does VERY well. In fact IMO it does what it does better than mQuickDo (for app switching). Unlike mQuickDo it automatically enables background operation for the current app before switching to another.

With mQuickDo I have to first hold down home to enable backgrounding, taking me to the springboard (I don't use app-level auto backgrounding for many apps, such as games). I then have to switch to the app I want. And often times I've forgotten about this and I ended up exiting the app, so I have to start it all over again.

Waaaay easier to understand too. It just works.

Edit: You can also terminate apps with this app too. Swipe a running app to kill it. Even this is, IMO, better implemented than MQD where you have to drag an app to... to? To open space and hope it works the first time (for me it takes an average of two tries to close an app).

IMG_0755.JPG

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator: