Awful ice storm. No power. Barely heat.

H

Hayesimus

hey. Ice storm hit us on Tuesday. Haven't had power since that afternoon. I have gas heat luckily but I'm not sure how long it'll last since this isthe first time I've been roughing it so to speak. My neighbor has power though! But other than that it's sporadic throughout NE Arkansas. They said in one town there are 2500 power poles down and counting. So anyway. There's definitely no cable and no Internet. I'll keep you posted but I had to coMe to the neighboring town just to get an Internet signal on my phone. Wish me luck. Theysay it could be Saturday or longer before I have power... :(

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow. Hang in there, Hayes. No AT&T internet in your hometown?

H

Hayesimus

it's sporadic. I have it and then I don't. Everything is covered in inches of ice including the towers.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
hey. Ice storm hit us on Tuesday. Haven't had power since that afternoon. I have gas heat luckily but I'm not sure how long it'll last since this isthe first time I've been roughing it so to speak. My neighbor has power though! But other than that it's sporadic throughout NE Arkansas. They said in one town there are 2500 power poles down and counting. So anyway. There's definitely no cable and no Internet. I'll keep you posted but I had to coMe to the neighboring town just to get an Internet signal on my phone. Wish me luck. Theysay it could be Saturday or longer before I have power... :(
If i was in a ice state like a lot of yall are i would have to have a incase power slider or one of them battery/cases. Good luck with all of that and stay warm.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Dang Hayes that's rough. A few years back when we had 3 hurricanes crisscross our county we were out of power for a week, then like two sets of 5 days. It wasn't fun.

So much for global warming...

H

Hayesimus

yeah. I was like,"screw global warming. Thaw baby thaw!"

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If you have a small Camping stove, you can use that for heat as well.
We had one about 8 years ago that left me without power for 4 days, and my heat was electric.
Gas stove and candles can actually warm a small space quite well

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Please be careful with candles. NOT to fall asleep to!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
We got hit hard here also. Got about 6" of snow, then an ice storm of about an inch, then another snow of 2"-4" inches. Of course the ice is what is causing all the problems. Schools were out starting Tuesday for the rest of the week and last I heard there are 100,000 without power. Luckily we still have power. As of today I am off work until power is restored there.
So I know what you are going through Hayes. Hang in there and hope power gets restored soon.

H

Hayesimus

oh I'm not here to make soup...

-the house bunny

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm in the same position. I've been without power and without cable/internet/phone since Tuesday night. Power came back on this morning around 9 and then went back off at about 10:30 - just came on about 20 minutes ago. I think we've used at least 150 logs what with the fire we've kept going - my house gets cold - quick - without the heat one. Best of luck to you, Hayes.

H

Hayesimus

well I heard on the radio Obama declared us a national disaster area. Guess he doesn't want an ordeal like what bush went through with his lousy response to katrina. Although ours isn't that bad obviously. But the chief of police for some town dies due to a tree falling on him while he was out trying to help clear the roads and stuff, helping his community in a time of need. He died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Kirt's grandmother told me their neighbor died but she didn't know how. I'd presume it's because they got too cold. And there is still no word on when the factory will open back up, but it's not like I have power to get ready or anything.

On that note... There was a tree leaning on the power lines to my house. At least until the road crew came and worked their magic... Instead of sawing off the tiny portion that was on the wire, they cut it at the base, thus sending the tree and my wires crashing to the ground as a friend and I watched. WTF!?! So now I'll be one of the LAST ones to get power back. How stupid.

Anyway. I'm going stir crazy. I wish I had a friggin laptop so I could bring my computer to my buddies and use his power to at least play some games or something. Watch some shows I've downloaded on iTunes too. Sittin in the dark at my house right now. Just got back from his house so I can keep roxy company. I figured if I have heat I might as well sleep in my bed with her so she doesn't miss me more than she already does.

Also cell phone service is worse Today than it has been. I couldn't even make phone calls let alone text or get online once I got back into town. Sucks.

But I guess imma go to sleep soon. When this is all over I have some great pictures to show ya. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. If you are I mean. LOL

Lata!

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
In Lexington, Kentucky, where I used to live, there would be an ice storm every February.

In 2004, the storm was so bad, we were out of power, out of cell phones, out of heating.

for a week.

the only things we had were our 1993 Camry and 2003 MPV, which we decided to use for transport, (which was also, incredibly dangerous), and the phone lines.

unofortunately, we didn't have a wired phone - we had wireless phones, and those didn't work.

School was out for more than a week.

We had a fireplace to warm us up. Thats it.

I know how you feel, Hayes.

H

Hayesimus

sigh... (by candlelight)

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
Dang Hayes that's rough. A few years back when we had 3 hurricanes crisscross our county we were out of power for a week, then like two sets of 5 days. It wasn't fun.

So much for global warming...
Yes, hurricanes are not fun.
I think they are probably worse than an ice storm
When we lose power it's all humid and hot, while you guys are in the cold.
I'm pretty sure the after effects of an ice storm can't be compared to those of a hurricane, but anyway good luck Hayes keep Roxy warm. :)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Both hurricanes and I'm sure ice storms are bad. We've been rather lucky these part few seasons avoiding any major hurricanes but they keep predicting the worst. Hopefully they're continue to be wrong.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
hey, We might possibly get a few flurries down here in the ATL. And you know what that means.... Bread, Milk, Beer and Condoms will be flying off the shelves in preparation of "BLIZZARD '09"!
It's silly down here. I grew up in Mass., so I know what snow it like. I also know that it doesn't matter where you are from, you really cannot drive on the stuff down here. The roads generally stay just warm enough that whatever snow melts on them tends to freeze and create a layer of ice under whatever accumulation lands on top. While this is drivable if you are careful, we have people down here from up north that think they can do 80mph in a situation that calls for 20. And They are the ones that usually end up upside-down in a ditch somewhere.
Of course it's incredible rare that we see any snowfall, so that combined with the ice and idiots, this is why people panic. OMG! THERE'S AN INCH ON THE GROUND! QUICK, BUY AS MUCH BEER AS YOU CAN!

H

Hayesimus

I can haz power!

They woke me up today working on my power lines. They haven't hooked my cable or Internet back up yet, but dammit I gotz lights!