Awww...no iPhone Software Update Until Later!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
When talking about the mobile iTunes Store, Steve said, "...Available in iPhone too later this month with a free software update."

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I heard from a guy who knows a guy who knows the neighbor of a lady who knows this guy that works on a guys car that works for Apple who said that the update to the iPhone will be here on the 19th.

This is solid info guys. You can bank on it.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
whats the deal with "free"? was he actually thinking of charging us for it? As if he didn't rip us off already with the 8gigs!
Lol, and the cool thing will be if the only 'real' change offered in the update is access to the store, ie another way for us to give them more money more easily. Anyone hear anything about bug fixes or feature upgrades that WON'T make them more money? Perhaps I jump too soon to conclusions, but I'm souring on Apple after only six weeks as a customer. I think my expectations were a lil too high. I remember hearing something about wanting to keep current customers delighted. Different interpretation of the word I guess.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I'll never buy another Apple product if they don't fix the iPhone with some type of functional updates besides another way for them to make more money.

I mean it. Never.

If this update is iTunes WiFi only... I'm done with Apple.

Fool me once...

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
all i want is ichat and some bug fixes and im good the iPhone would be perfect after that i don't want no iTunes wifi sh*t whos the f*ck is gonna use that!?

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I heard from a guy who knows a guy who knows the neighbor of a lady who knows this guy that works on a guys car that works for Apple who said that the update to the iPhone will be here on the 19th.

LMFAO, that made my day, thanks Tharmsen.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007

OTOH its the same 'clever' post he's made in response to anyone daring to speculate on or wonder about a release date. Just as annoying in its smugness as the posts it is in response to.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i'm excited about the ringtones and wifi iTunes store but still am anxiously awaiting and angry about the neglection of MMS. there is no reason a phone these days, especially a $599 (now $399) iPhone should have omitted MMS or A2DP for that matter.

krossmusic

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
New York City
i'm excited about the ringtones and wifi iTunes store but still am anxiously awaiting and angry about the neglection of MMS. there is no reason a phone these days, especially a $599 (now $399) iPhone should have omitted MMS or A2DP for that matter.
I agree, but I'll hold my breath on this one and see what the new updates bring, I mean Igod (jobs) never announces bug fixes at these things(ok i know its not a bug) but he can't just say hey it sucks that we didn't add a basic feature blah blah, Ipredict IMMS soon...

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
what's even worse is that its only going to work via wifi! How lame! I'd say 99.999% of the time I'm on edge! As horrible as edge is that's the point if the data plan! If iTunes was good on edge I wouldn't be as pissed but only wifi is worthless! Maybe Apple realized how slowwwwwww edge really is!

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I believe we will see an update in line with the activation of the ringtones "feature" in iTunes. It would make sense to synch the two activities. I think they said that was mid-next week? I forget where I read that.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Well a couple more things I haven't managed to say yet anyplace, lol.

I'm happy about the wifi iTunes store. I've actually been hoping for it. I've been doing a cynical rant cause it's the first real new feature and lo and behold it will help make Apple money. But, since I got my iPhone I've discovered the wonder of Podcasts. I get like 6 hrs of FREE music every friggin' week now that I love. This will enable that process.

Second, I suppose, as tired as this is starting to sound, that there could well be significant, noticeable bug fixes bundled into this "free" software update. As others have pointed out, Steve isn't going to advertise that the phone has bugs that need to be fixed. He probably even wouldn't crow publicly about the addition of features like MMS which any idiot knows should have been there to begin with. So we can naively hope, if we choose to do so, that some of this could be coming soon.

dmwinkler11@ou.edu

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
I believe gizmodo.com said that Steve mentioned something about iTunes wifi AND another new iPhone app... not 100% but I'm pretty sure thats what I read, but only time will tell. And I'm sure with all the new iPhone customers that will be coming to join AT&T that Apple will fix things like iChat and MMS... as long as I've been using Apple they seem to be good about fixing things and are without a doubt a hell of a lot better than Microsoft about fixing stuff for the customers and not worrying completely about profit. And I'm pretty excited about iTunes wifi, just another way to hand money to Apple, but it is convienent and I will use it I'm sure. But apparently iTunes 7.4 is coming tonight! So, $.99 ringtones should be able to be bought tonight! :laugh2: But I'm sure the iTunes wifi will come very very very soon, we all know Apple doesn't want to hold out on taunting us with the ability to buy millions of songs where ever we are!

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
And I'm sure with all the new iPhone customers that will be coming to join AT&T that Apple will fix things like iChat and MMS... as long as I've been using Apple they seem to be good about fixing things and are without a doubt a hell of a lot better than Microsoft about fixing stuff for the customers and not worrying completely about profit.
Okey dokey. I disagree. I followed the live blog of the event and Jobs said the iPhone would get wifi to iTunes "later this month". That's it. They will give you the option to preview, buy and download songs via wifi and I'd bet that will be the ONLY thing you're allowed to download.

MMS and iChat wouldn't be a "fix" for the iPhone. Those would be new software additions since Apple doesn't consider it "broken" by not having those features.

With the lower price and the attention of the media this would have been a perfect time to announce value-added software upgrades... and he did. WiFi to buy songs from iTunes. That's it. Zero value for me.

Don't count on anything beyond the wifi iTunes thingy. If something else is added then it'll be a pleasant surprise.

I'm not holding my breath.

dmwinkler11@ou.edu

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
MMS and iChat wouldn't be a "fix" for the iPhone. Those would be new software additions since Apple doesn't consider it "broken" by not having those features.
I don't mean "fix" because it's broken, but "fix" as in for those of us who see it as something that should be included in a smartphone. I know that it would have to be a software addition.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I'd much rather have basic file access but MMS and iChat seem to be a regular request.

I hope you get it.

I'm a little confused (OT) why so many people don't get how Apple just killed the resale value of their *recent* expensive purchases in 5 minutes and a couple of sentences. You can't sell your 8gb iPhone for $400 now and jump ship or change phones. You'll take a huge loss as it's only worth about $300 street now used max.

The 4 gb models are virtually worthless now for resale if you paid $499 for them.

In 2 months from a brand new product release? Unheard of.