Baby Monitor / webcam

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hi,

I have a baby due on Christmas Day :) , and im looking into baby monitor solutions. I was looking at a traditional baby monitor with video, which would allow me to see the babies room from anywhere else in our house.

However, if you go out and have a babysitter, or one of us is away for the night, it would be nice to be able to use my iPhone to view a live webcam to see the crib?

I have found this app... http://www.senstic.com/iPhone/aircam/aircam.aspx

Was wondering if anybody else uses this software or could recommend any? I think a live webcam stream app would be suitable?

Mr5150

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
Well, due to your post and my own curiosity, I downloaded it and it works pretty good for your intended use. The free version in the app store is only good over wireless not edge or 3G, and only seemed to work once. Though it may have been a software lock up of some kind. I downloaded the full version for $7.99 as well I had to forward port 1726 on my router to make it work over 3G. There is quite a bit of delay in general and the audio is even more delayed than the video in my case, but for 8 bucks, pretty good system and clear video.

Any questions, let me know.. And thank YOU for the tip :)

Larry

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Does opening that port cause any vulnerabilities?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Thanks for your advice, I think ill give it a go. I might email the developer about the vulnerability after opening that port 1st though

Mr5150

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
Good idea, I would also like to know....
After more experimenting, I've discovered the App will lock up on my PC. It appears to to be still working on the PC but the iPhone will disconnect. So far, the only way I've been able to reconnect is to reboot PC and restart PC Air Cam app. This is not very convenient if you are viewing remotely and do not have access to PC. Sometimes it takes 1/2 hour sometimes less.

Congratulations, by the way, on your soon to be new arrival :)

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
I got the paid version and it’s a great app. I tried both this one and the Jumi app but this one allows both video and sound. It also allows remote recording so if you see something happening on your iPhone you can hit the record feature and it will record video to your computer’s hard drive. It will also allow you to enter the IP for an IP webcam if you have one connected to your computer.

The free version lets you monitor from within your wireless network. The paid version lets you view anywhere over another wifi connection or 3G. Video quality is as good as to be expected from a webcam and an iPhone, and there is some lag. But I am using an old Logitech cam and a newer higher resolution one might work better.

Mr5150

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
Update:

It's becoming more and more unreliable and locking up. I can not recommend it at this point.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Thanks for the update Mr5051 - I think ill have to look elsewhere

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Update:

It's becoming more and more unreliable and locking up. I can not recommend it at this point.
I'm with you on that one. I'm always having problems with it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I just tried it and the concept was cool but it was freezing my phone and not broadcasting very well.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Interesting, I have had absolutely no freezing or problems on wifi or 3G. Have you tried adjusting the frame rate?

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Soon as I started touching the frame rate thing it froze.
Is it the app on the phone the freezes/crashes or your desktop/laptop computer?

PS- I have no association with the makers of this app, but I have used it daily since I got it and I have had no problems with it.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA

MaverickC17

Bronze
Dec 29, 2007
I've been using iCam for a while now along with a usb webcam on my laptop and it works really well. It even streams the audio. You can get a cheap usb webcam on ebay for $3 or $4 and the iCam app is only $4.99 (unless you're jailbroken, then you can.... acquire it).
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=296273730&mt=8
I agree, iCam is the best webcam App available. For $4.99 you get an easy to use webcam app. For another $.99 in app purchase your get PUSH motion detection.