Back cover slowly decoloring... (for iPhoners with no case)

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Anyone else having issues with the back silver slowly wearing away from where your fingers sit while talking or holding it? Right above my APPLE logo is a spot where my finger slides up and down while on a call. I originally had a 4gig and got replaced with an 8gig when the rebate happened so I've probably only had the phone for a few months, say August?

I'll post pictures later but mainly does anyone think Apple would cover replacing the back?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I doubt it, but it never hurts to try. :)

If it doesn't hurt your iPhone functionality, I would write it off as a lesson learned for a future device.

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
mines fresh... but only a week old lol Im dreading the day of my first scratch
My first scratch was a little hairline scratch on the Apple on the back. It's gone -- it disappeared on its own. All the first scratch means is that you use your phone. Don't fear the scratch.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've had mine without a case since iDay and there is no discoloration at all and I've dropped my phone several times already. I can't say that this seems to be a common occurrence with the discoloration.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
To quote Apple and it's general products description "Like a fine pair of jeans, your colors may vary from others and fade over time."

boo

ufcollins

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Jacksonville
this isn't directly related to this topic, it do you guys go bare iPhone without any screen protector or anything? Cause I just got mine for Xmas and still have the original plastic over the screen. I want to take it off, but I don't want the screen to get damaged and is it stickier I'd more difficult to scroll and use the touch with a bare screen?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well of course it'll make it more vulnerable to scratches and such because you no longer have that layer of protection on the screen. However, the screen is surprisingly resilient so as long as you are not entirely careless with the screen it should be fine.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
this isn't directly related to this topic, it do you guys go bare iPhone without any screen protector or anything? Cause I just got mine for Xmas and still have the original plastic over the screen. I want to take it off, but I don't want the screen to get damaged and is it stickier I'd more difficult to scroll and use the touch with a bare screen?

The screen is optical glass, mine has been naked since June, and is in my jeans pocket. No problem.

shnoogan

Jul 8, 2007
i don't have a case but on iDay i purchased the film screen cover from Apple... when i got home i immediately tore the one it came with off (i found it hard to use the phone) and placed the one i bought on.. so my screen is in perfect condition under there. the back faceplate and front chrome bezel are a whole other story...