Back replacement service?

Beau

Jul 31, 2007
Hey Guys,

Yesterday my iPhone suffered a fairly substantial knock to the top of the on/off button. The case is now distorted enough that the button is stuck mostly depressed inside. The phone works fine except for the functionality lost by not being able to use that button (please, no comments about lack of case, I never suit up my gadgets and this unfortunate mishap won't change my mind :))

In any case, I know you can buy a replacement cover for $32... and I know there's a service that charges like $150 for swapping to a _colorized_ back, full cost. But is there a service that simple changes the back casing for you for a more reasonable cost? I'd rather not do this myself and it would be cool to get this done for a total < $100, if at all possible.

TIA! - Beau

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
There is a disassembly video on Youtube. Just taking off the back cover seemed simple.

I have seem a number of sites (many hong kong based) selling back covers and the cover removal tools.

Look here:

Beau

Jul 31, 2007
Thanks, but the cover is easy. Replacing the parts on the cover is insane. Just look at the link I posted. I've built a guitar amp, an am radio, rebuilt the wiring harness in my car (in addition to installing turbo/supercharger systems and programming the engine control system), lotsa DIY stuff over the years. This though I'm not comfortable doing, nor do I want to spend the time (3-7 hours per the thread linked in the article).

So no one knows of any service out there? I'm surprised this hasn't come up. Maybe it's just too labor intensive even for those who have got the cover replacement down to a science.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
"prob not unless you find a store other than Apple"

And hence the reason I'm here asking :)

From a couple writeups I've seen it's extremely difficult and time consuming (ie. http://www.macrumors.com/iPhone/2007/07/30/how-to-replace-the-iphone-enclosure/). It would be far more worth it and less risky for me to pay someone who's already done it.
Yeah that does look intense. I myself would give it a shot. If I didn't wanna I'd pay 150 for the colored backs from that site

Beau

Jul 31, 2007
Yeah that does look intense. I myself would give it a shot. If I didn't wanna I'd pay 150 for the colored backs from that site
Oh yeah, fwiw I called Colorware. They won't replace the back regardless of what I supply. I read it like they don't actually remove the pieces from the back, but mask off the interior side.

So basically I imagine my only option is dealing with the $250 replacement upcharge with Apple. I'll live with it until 2.0 :cool:

Beau

Jul 31, 2007
yes this is insane..... why did aple make it so hard.. this is wild.... i would not try this at all...
I think it goes without saying that no one at Apple is actually doing this kind of service (removing the glued components), the part # for their OEM back piece likely has the components already attached at the factory. The piece simply wasn't designed for serviceability.

Beau

Jul 31, 2007
does the button still work? If so I'd just let it go like you said
No, the casing is deformed and it is stuck, so I have to live without its functionality. Which I can do, but at the same time if it were possible to get it fixed for ~$100 I would.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I have seen backs being sold for $40 to $50....I just assumed that these backs included the glued in components at that price.

Save the money, buy a cheapo phone and wait for the 3-g

Beau

Jul 31, 2007
I recently had a drop bad enough to shatter my screen. I found this site:http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/apple-iphone-repair.html. They replaced my screen and mailed it back to me in under a week. Their prices are a little expensive just for parts, but the installation is free, so it made up for it. I would check them out
Awesome, just what I was looking for, I'll give a call today and see if they offer this service.

Thanks.

Beau

Jul 31, 2007
Ding!

We have a winner http://www.rapidrepair.com/Merchant...ode=4105_Silver_Backing_iPhone&Category_Code=

Called and you can buy the part yourself or they will install it for you, $50 either or. Their piece does include the components (on/off button, camera, etc) already glued in to the replacement piece, so I'm not sure if I'll just do this myself. probably send it in just for piece of mind as it will only cost shipping.