Back up iPad & iPhone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rickyc, May 22, 2012.

1. rickyc

rickyc New Member

How do you back up Ipad and iPhone to an external hard drive without buying Timecapsule or using cloud?

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

A sync in iTunes is a backup.....
    The nice thing about iCloud is that it's like "virtual" hard drive.
    Why would you not want to use that?

3. rickyc

rickyc New Member

Thanks for the reply. 2 reasons - I haven't figured the cloud out entirely - some of my mail goes there, some doesn't. My documents don't. I have an IMac, my wife has an Ipad and iPhone. We want to keep our address book, mail, etc. separate. I figured an external drive could do that and I could use Timemachine for my IMac.

Also, when I did send some mail to cloud it disappeared from my Imac Mail. I thought it was supposed to sync so if I added or deleted on the IMac it would mirror on the cloud. Pretty confusing. I called Applecare but they weren't a lot of help and neither are the guides.

4. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I really just use iCloud for device backups.
    Master mail backup is my hotmail account and contacts are sync'd via an app as a redundant fail safe.

Are all three devices on the same iTunes account? That could be why the cloud is having difficulty with some of the nuaunces of data management.
    I would surmise that if not, backing up all to a time capsule should not cause any issues.