Back up Phone for weekends?

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
So it finally happened to me, this weekend my iPhone was stolen on the NYC Subway, so of course I went to the nearest ATT store and got the absolute cheapest phone until the new 3g comes out in 10 days. So here's my question, the manager said I could return this one when I get the new 3G, but my question is this, could I keep this, and if knew I was going out like say to the club or whatever and I didn't want to take my iPhone, just the switch out the sim card? Are you able to do that if you own an iPhone? Thanks!

ENTERT8NER

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Very good question, I'd like to know if I could do that too with my Palm Centro. I would much rather lose that phone then the new 3G.

Thanks!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah you can do that. I've popped my iPhone sim into my old 2125 and it works great... data package and everything.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Great! Glad to hear that! I'm going to keep this one then, it's a little Nokia 2610. and it's like stepping back to my very first cell phone in like 2000. It's awful, but at least they gave it to me at the stolen phone price, just 43 bucks.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
yes, you can. ive tried popping my SIM card into one of my older phones before and it works fine.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Sure you can, Im sure there are thousands of people on razrs and treos using their iPhone unlimited internet! I know I am.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm keeping the v1 iPhone as a reserve phone for when I don't feel like taking the 3G. I'm going to keep it Jailbroken and Unlocked as well, that way I can have all of the customization I want as well as have the new 2.0 firmware.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I'm keeping the v1 iPhone as a reserve phone for when I don't feel like taking the 3G. I'm going to keep it Jailbroken and Unlocked as well, that way I can have all of the customization I want as well as have the new 2.0 firmware.
So you don't care if someone steal syour v1 at the club?

That reminds me I like to wear my skin tight leopard pants to the club and keep the iPhone in my pocket and the pants are so tight you can still use the touch screen through them in my pocket.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia

That reminds me I like to wear my skin tight leopard pants to the club and keep the iPhone in my pocket and the pants are so tight you can still use the touch screen through them in my pocket.
I would actually take my 3G if I went out. The only times I would bring the v1 would be places such as the beach or other invasive environments of that sort. My v1 is insured by State Farm anyway against theft, so it wouldn't be a terrible loss, just an inconvenience really.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The question is whether or not you got a subsidized phone to fill your needs until the iPhone 3G is released. IF it is subsidized, you'll have to return it to the get subsidized price on the new iPhone. IF it was not subsidized and you paid the full boat price, then you would be able to keep it. I'll just tell you, any phone that you bought for less than $125 is subsidized by AT&T.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If I were in my twenties, I certainly wouldn't bring my iPhone to the bar or club. Now that I am older, getting so smashed that you don't remember where you set you phone down rarely happens. When it does, I usually have friends around that help me to collect my jacket and phone, and give me a piggy-back ride to a waiting cab.

The remote wipe feature will be handy when the 2.0 software releases. I hope I can get that with the me.com subscription, since I won't be using it on a company Exchange server.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007

just wow... because

1. TMI with the thing about the pants and
2. I take my phone with me wherever I got and it is by my side at all times and (I hope I don't jynx myself by saying this) have NEVER had a phone lost or stolen