Back up SMS from iOS7 & iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by altjx, Nov 2, 2013.

1. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

I know there's several software out there that can do this, but I'm seeking a little more specific information regarding this process.

In < iOS 7, I have been able to extract the SQLite database files from iPhone's backup, connect to those databases, and extract SMS information from the tables within. However, in iOS7+, it seems that SMS messages are no longer located in the same areas that they were located in iOS6.

Would any of you happen to know what part of an iPhone 5 (running iOS7) backup would contain SMS messages?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I can't verify this since there isn't a jailbreak, but try here:
    System Files > MediaDomain > Library > SMS

3. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Hmm, I'm not looking at the file system from a directory structure -- the information I'm going off of is an iPhone backup. The iPhone backup folder just contains tons of files (which are several different types of course).

Thanks for your reply.

4. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Any additional feedback on this topic, anyone?

5. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Still, no one has a single club eh?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just tested this with Diskaid and it's very simple to do. Just click on a contact in the messages tab, select all or some of the messages and then right click and select export. You can backup/save them as .txt, .pdf or .csv. and you can then print them if you'd like.

7. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Thanks Europa.

I think there may be some confusion in the original post. I initially wanted to perform a backup of an iPhone and extract information from the backup folder. I know there's plenty of software out there to do it, but I was just writing a simple script that would extract SMS messages. I'll probably just the application you suggested instead.

Thanks.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're welcome. I think a program like this would be easiest. I don't know the file system for iOS 7 yes since there is no jailbreak and I've never done it using the method you are referring to. I've only backed it up/replaced it manually through the file system when jailbroken or used DiskAid while stock.

9. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Oh ok. Sounds great! :)

10. Mostafa

Mostafa New Member

Hey, now that the jailbreak is out.. Time to revive this post if you don't mind..
    I've backed up my sms.db from /private/var/mobile/library/SMS/sms.db under iOS 6 . Now, I'm trying to restore that file to iOS 7, but it doesn't seem to be working (Set permissions and everything).
    Tried multiple ways, SSH, 3rd party apps (Using System Files > MediaDomain > Library > SMS , etc), but nothing seems to be working. Any ideas?

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can't just use the sms.db anymore. You need to restore the entire messages folder.

12. Mostafa

Mostafa New Member

Actually, I just had a breakthrough. I got it to work..
    Turns out the problem was that I actually needed to "Restart" my phone after the SSH, not just "Respring" :)

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't have any missing messages? I tried restoring just the sms.db file on 6.x and there was a significant amount of missing messages and pictures. Using the entire messages folder worked fine.

14. Mostafa

Mostafa New Member

I opted not to restore attachments because they're huge (Also, mostly pictures already in camera roll, so no need for duplicates). But for messages, you only need the 3 files in the SMS folder.
    As for missing texts, I'm not sure.. They seem to be intact though (Unable to search. The search returns nothing, but the text is there)

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay. I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were trying to SSH just the sms.db. Installing the entire folder (which contains all three SMS files and the pictures folder) will copy everything over. On 4.x and lower, everything was contained in the sms.db, so copying that file alone was sufficient.