Background Apps Rumor

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Background would be nice, but is it necessary now with push notifications?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Was talking with a client about his G1 today and he complained massively about having to charge up 3 times a day. Multitasking is a HUGE battery killer. Apple will not do this unless they can do it right.

Limiting the number of concurrent apps to 3 or less would make a lot of sense, as well as a stringent "background-capable" certification process for the Appstore. If they're smart, they'll explore both these options very carefuly.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Was talking with a client about his G1 today and he complained massively about having to charge up 3 times a day. Multitasking is a HUGE battery killer. Apple will not do this unless they can do it right.

Limiting the number of concurrent apps to 3 or less would make a lot of sense, as well as a stringent "background-capable" certification process for the Appstore. If they're smart, they'll explore both these options very carefuly.
I have a feeling that is going to one of the biggest complaints and downfalls of the Pre, just like the G1, the battery life will suffer greatly because of all that running. Also I bet the Pre will become very slow depending on what's running in the background.

I think 3 is the maximum anyone would need to run in the background because with push notifications you don't need most apps running in the background. I think the only app I can think of to run in the background would be a radio (iHeart radio, pandora, etc.) while I am doing other tasks. I do think they would have to be strict on the approval of the app to assure 3 of any combination of them would work flawlessly. This would have to be added as an API so if they want any background apps this summer they better announce and add it soon(not that this is even in the immediate future). How do you think they would allow you to go into "background" app mode? Would it be similar to the jailbroken method which would work like force closing, you just wouldn't have to worry about force closing cause it was removed.

Really if Apple were to allow this apps like facebook, aim, or twitter could offer both capabilities in the app so you have the option between push and background.