Background Refresh

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by silvermoon, Mar 19, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm trying to squeeze more battery life out of mg phone so I disabled background refresh in General settings. Now I don't get notifications for subscribed threads. Do I need to keep background refresh turned on? Push notifications in mail are still coming through in my device.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Would you be satisfied with just mail notifications? What I've noticed is sometimes I don't get my mail notification until later at times. Then again I am on Yahoo.

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, I have the same issue with mail notifications. They arrive 10-15 minutes later and that is on Outlook. I get it faster when I'm going through the web mail.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have background refresh turned off, but get my notifications ok. Odd that you do not.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

As far as mail notifications, are you pushing, or fetching every x minutes? If you want near-instant notification of incoming e-mails always (along with near-instant syncing of contacts), set it to Push.

Your everythingicafe app notifications should be coming through as they occur, assuming you have them set to on in Notification Center. This works regardless of the Background App Refresh setting for the app. Be sure your Badges, Sounds, and Banners (or Alerts) are on per your wishes.

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I have mail notifications set to Push. If the Background App Refresh does not change anything with notifications, I'm going to check my settings in Notification Center. I also pulled down the Notification Center and there are no notifications so it might be that everything was turned off.

7. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Just an update, I'm not receiving any notifications from Facebook, Apple Insider, my banking apps, eIC, and other apps that send out notifications. It has been a whole day since I turned off Background App Refresh.

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I performed a reset on my device by going to General Settings and Reset All Settings. This appears to have fixed the issue with notifications. Maybe this will help someone out.