Backing up on iOS7 then restoring from backup on iOS6?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by rollinfromhell, Aug 9, 2013.

1. rollinfromhell

Gold

Is this possible in case I want to downgrade back?

2. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

There is no way to do this. If you back up on iOS 7 and the try a restore from backup on iOS 6 it will tell you the backup is not compatible.

3. rollinfromhell

Gold

Yikes.. so should I just downgrade now if that's not possible? I don't want to lose new important data.

Also one huge positive: I was surprised AppData that wasn't normally backupable in iOS6 was still there. Including all my login info on my apps and conversations that don't normally back up in IOS6. Now that was awesome. Also all my apps were put back on perfectly and I didn't need to redrag and drop all of them. I don't remember any of that in iOS6, is that new?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Some of the app data is synced through "documents and data" in iCloud. It did this in iOS 6 as well. It's similar to syncing contacts. If you use iCloud for contacts, you don't have to use your backup to get them onto a new or factory-restored device; you just have to turn iCloud syncing on and make sure contacts are toggled on.

5. rollinfromhell

Gold

I'm fine with contacts cause that all syncs through windows. Just worried about my texts, conversations in my apps, photos being unorganized after having to move them to a folder and them not being in my camera roll anymore, etc. Wish Apple would have better optimization so we didn't have to "restore as new" for everything lol. Pain in the butt.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is not a problem for most people since they can't/don't downgrade. This is something people need to take into consideration when installing beta firmware. There are a lot of drawbacks to it in addition to not being able to use your backup if you choose to downgrade. It also expected to be buggy and not have full third party app compatibility.

Unfortunately, you will lose your texts and camera roll if you downgrade.

7. rollinfromhell

Gold

Okay. I REALLY do love it. Don't get me wrong. It's probably one of the best betas I've ever used. Just the battery life going from 38 percent to 3 percent in an hour or so is kinda fast compared to ios6. And some apps aren't working.

But hey; were still one more beta away and possibly a second gold master release away from the real release. Hope that's fixed for sure. Otherwise it's addicting to just using this thing now. It's so smooth and buttery. And purty!

#7 rollinfromhell, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is the battery drain consistently bad or was that just one cycle? It might have just needed to be calibrated. If it is consistent, you could try a full restore to beta 5 in iTunes. I have a 4S on beta 5 and my battery is fine. Another thing you could try is resetting all settings. But yeah, if you need those apps right now, you don't have much choice other than to restore to 6.1.3.

9. rollinfromhell

Gold

Did you restore from backup? I'm reading it's making a bit of a difference in battery life.

10. rollinfromhell

Gold

I'm just trying to figure out (I don't think it's possible) to get certain data from my apps after I restore as new. I only care about one in particular that has all my conversations and my texts. If that's possible that would be perfect.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't have anything to lose by restoring and installing 7.0 again. You'll be able to use your backup and it will likely fix the battery drain. I don't think there's any way to save chat data from the app, so you'll lose that if you go back to 6.1.3.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, I restored to factory settings before installing 7.0.

13. rollinfromhell

Gold

No I know that. I mean did you restore your backup once you got to 7.0 after backing up and restoring on 6.1.4?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, I set it up from scratch.