Backing up on the road

pajero

Nov 17, 2008
How do you backup iPhone on the road, assuming no PC handy?

Thanks.

David

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I don't know if you can. I haven't heard of a service that you can upload a backup image to. Without a computer makes it a little tougher.

pajero

Nov 17, 2008
Thanks

That what I thought....

I am traveling for one month with simply my 3G, if it lost or stolen I am dead meat. Should I buy a new one, how would I download my last backup?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
If you are talking about contacts and calendar MobileMe will do that wirelessly. There is 60 day free trial.

--
Mike

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
You could always copy your last backup to a memory stick then in a pinch you could restore from that backup file, if you could borrow a computer somewhere, should something go awry while away.

pajero

Nov 17, 2008
Thanks for the good idea.

Where would I find this file file to backup to a memory stick?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
What OS are you using? XP, Vista, Win 7, Tiger, Leopard...?

EDIT: Sorry, waited around for your reply but have to leave now. I'm sure once you supply you OS info someone else will chime in with an answer for you. The files are located in different locations depending on which system you're using.

Good luck!

pajero

Nov 17, 2008
thanks

this folder has some 282MB....seems small....not clear to me what is in this backup.

david

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
thanks

this folder has some 282MB....seems small....not clear to me what is in this backup.

david
Here you go:

iTunes will backup the following information:

iPhone OS 1.1 and later
  • Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, and currently open pages
  • Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in
  • Maps
  • Application settings, preferences, and data
  • Address Book and Address Book favorites
  • Calendar accounts
  • Wallpapers
  • Notes
  • Call history
  • Mail accounts
  • YouTube bookmarks
  • SMS messages
  • Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections)
  • Camera roll (photos and screen shots taken by the iPhone)
  • Voicemail token (this is not the Voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card.)
  • Web clips
  • Network settings (saved wifi spots, VPN settings, network preferences)
  • Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup)
  • Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. The keychain can only be restored from backup to the same iPhone or iPod touch. If you are restoring to a new device, you will need to fill in these passwords again.)

With iPhone 2.0 and later
  • Managed Configurations/Profiles
  • List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync)
  • Microsoft Exchange account configurations
  • Nike+iPod saved workouts and settings
  • App Store Application data (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).

New with iPhone 3.0
  • Videos in camera roll
  • Per app preferences allowing use of location services
  • Offline web application cache/database
  • Voice memos
  • Autofill for web pages
  • Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified
  • Web sites approved to get the location of the device
  • In-app purchases

From Apple Suport

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Maybe you should buy an inexpensive netbook (an oxymoron I suppose) and take that on your travels. That is what I do when I'm away for over a week. If you backup before you leave and signup for a mobileme account (if you don't already have one) you will be in good shape. Any APPs you buy while away will be available for you to download in the event you lost your phone. Try not to worry and have a great time!

pajero

Nov 17, 2008
Many thanks for the backup location.

As for the netbook..I have a notebook...wou
ld like to avoid the extra weight and need for more space.

David

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
pajero,

As a reminder: It's cool you told them thanks for their help but let's not forget to press that ole handy "Thanks" button at the bottom right of their posts. :eek:k:eek:k

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Well thank you Watcher, however, pajero is a new member and doesn't have access to a "thanks" button until he gets 25 posts under his belt. I know he's grateful for the help.

Jun 30, 2009
You could always copy your last backup to a memory stick then in a pinch you could restore from that backup file, if you could borrow a computer somewhere, should something go awry while away.
That's a good tip. I was searching for such informations. So much thanks for sharing with us. Followed the ways. Works fine.