Backup didn't save my apps

Grifftech

Bronze
Dec 14, 2007
I did a backup yesterday, and when I got my new 3GS today I restored from my backup and none of my apps I have bought or downloaded were reloaded on the new 3GS:(

Grifftech

Bronze
Dec 14, 2007
I don't have my old phone to sync my apps, I thought a backup would save them. So can I still do it? can someone please explain this whole sync thing? How is a backup not a Sync? When I go to the Sync tab there are no Apps there in the window to Sync?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I don't have my old phone to sync my apps, I thought a backup would save them. So can I still do it? can someone please explain this whole sync thing? How is a backup not a Sync? When I go to the Sync tab there are no Apps there in the window to Sync?
Ouch. You have to transfer your purchases from your phone to your computer. Otherwise, you're SOL. You'll have to check your iTunes receipts and redownload them all. And no, you won't have any saved data from the apps. If you were on the last level of a game, too bad.

Sorry.

Grifftech

Bronze
Dec 14, 2007
Ouch. You have to transfer your purchases from your phone to your computer. Otherwise, you're SOL. You'll have to check your iTunes receipts and redownload them all. And no, you won't have any saved data from the apps. If you were on the last level of a game, too bad.

Sorry.
F'ing hell for the peeps who told me that Backing up will cover everything

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
F'ing hell for the peeps who told me that Backing up will cover everything
It's not their fault you never sync'd your phone. If you had sync'd it your purchases would have transferred automatically.

Grifftech

Bronze
Dec 14, 2007
It's not their fault you never sync'd your phone. If you had sync'd it your purchases would have transferred automatically.
Why should I have to Sync when I have the ability to backup?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Because a back up only saves the data from those apps, not the apps themselves.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
No they don't. You have to select the option the very first time. It does ask, and you can accept or decline.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
No they don't. You have to select the option the very first time. It does ask, and you can accept or decline.
Been awhile ago...I don't remember it, but will take your word for it. Either way, it's not anyones fault but his own that he didn't do it.

Grifftech

Bronze
Dec 14, 2007
How do I sync music from an old phone without Syncing all music on my PC, cause it says it will use all music. How do I do that?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
On the first tab, There are some checkboxes at the bottom, it says sync only checked music. And I think, although I am not sure, that manually managing your music is pretty much the same. I've never really looked into how to manually manage my music, I just check off what I want, and don't check off what I don't.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Manually managing it, you just drag and drop the songs or playlists you want on the phone. Works pretty well for just adding one or two.

Grifftech

Bronze
Dec 14, 2007
Ok I think I have most of this figured out, but why cant I drag music from Library -> Music to the Music Sub category under "My Phone"?