Backup to new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by riffdex, Dec 27, 2013.

1. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

I have an iPhone 4 at 5.1.1 (jb) on its last legs. It is constantly freezing, giving me errors. I want to switch to another iPhone 4 on 7.1.4 (jailbroken). How can I get all my settings and data to the new phone? Do i need to update the 5.1.1 to iOS 7 before I can back up the data to restore it to the new device? Will restoring data to the new iPhone lose my jailbreak. How can I accomplish this and in what order. Any help is appreciated!

Sent using iCafe app

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

What I did was update my iPhone 5 from iOS 6 to iOS 7, and use the backup I had before iOS 7. Of course you will lose your jailbreak by updating, but you can rejailbreak with evasi0n, however the jailbreak mostly isn't worth it at this moment.

3. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

Ok. Well I was mainly holding off switching phones (my current phone has been slowly getting worse) until i knew the new one (was at 6.1.4 until the recent iOS 7 jb released) would be able to be jailbroken.

So with the understanding that the new jb isn't necessarily worth it, I still want to get to the new phone now that I know a real jb is possible and only a matter of time.

So im guessing my option in this case is to:
    1) backup current iPhone on 5.1.1
    2) update it to 7.1.4 (losing jb)
    3) restore from 5.1.1 backup, maintaining 7.1.4 fw but restoring data and settings
    4) backup current iPhone now on 7.1.4
    5) install clean 7.1.4 on NEW iPhone via iTunes
    6) restore from 7.1.4 backup (from old phone) to new phone.
    7) At some point in the future jailbreak new phone?

Does this make sense? Boy this is confusing lol.

Sent using iCafe app

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I think the question is, do you love your current JB? I decided to jailbreak iOS 7 although it's not fully working. But we are all hoping an update of MobileSubstrate will be here soon. It's been almost a week I believe since the jailbreak was released, but it was released unexpectedly.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Thread moved to the jailbreak section. You can't access this section from the app (except threads you are already subscribed to). You'll need to use mobile Safari to access it.

The errors are software-related. The lag is because the hardware is pretty old. It's going to run even slower on 7.0.4 on an iPhone 4. Switching to another iPhone 4 won't make a difference. It might be best to just stay where you are and troubleshoot the errors. What type of errors are you getting?

#5 Europa, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  6. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

As I already said, I have the new iPhone 4 on iOS 7.1.4 and it is running amazingly. The errors I am experiencings on my current iPhone 4 have been gradually increasing in the last month (while firmware has not changed in over a year) and are demonstrative of failing RAM. I have experienced these types of issues before. It is not the occasional glitch you get running a newer firmware on older hardware, but a fundamental hardware failure. I know this to be the case. My main question is how to get to the other iPhone 4 without losing settings/data.

Sent using iCafe app

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

"When you plug in another iPhone, blank slate or not, all you need to do is right click it in iTunes' navigation menu and click "Restore." Once you click Restore, click the most recent Backup you have on file of your lost iPhone."

http://www.businesssinsider.com/how-to-transfer-iphone-data-to-another-iphone-2011-5

Make sure you do a new backup of your current iPhone to have everything as you want it before you use it for your other iPhone 4.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Jailbreaking and time will slow it down a little. It just didn't sound like a hardware failure on the old phone, but you didn't list the errors you were experiencing on it, so I can't be certain. Just out of curiosity, what errors are they?