Bad Connection in major cities?

iTrey.Bates

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
Texas
im in Houston (like the center of houston lol) and i had like two dropped calls just now...wtf is up with that...anybody have connection problems in major cities?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well it could've been the other persons phone who dropped the call and not yours, even if your phone said Call Failed.

Mine said Call Failed before, and I had 4 bars of service, and when I called my friend back, they said it was their phone and they lost service for a second...

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
If you had good reception before 3g this statement from a long time Apple tech is something to read: He told me this the other day when I upgraded my version 1 phone to 3g and I noticed inside the Apple store I had 2 bars and my version one was at 5bars.

He said. "if you don't want dropped calls or calls going directly to voice mail disable 3g"

Now right after he said that they are for ever improving the netwoork and this would not always be the case.

Do a bar test with 3g on and off. See your own results.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I went into Philly last night....No problems.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
im in Houston (like the center of houston lol) and i had like two dropped calls just now...wtf is up with that...anybody have connection problems in major cities?
Location plays a part in dropped call also. If you are in the area of tall buildings, it can cause this problem. Doesn't always, but it can be part of the problem.
Also weather or high winds can play a part.

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
According to AT&T, Cleveland, Ohio is a very strong 3G network area. Most of the time I only get 1 or 2 bars of 3G service. Sometimes NO SERVICE and I have to switch off 3G, then I'll get 5 full bars of edge. Other friends with AT&T service who do not have an iPhone get 4-5 bars of 3G service on their phones... An Apple rep told me that the iPhone has a poorly designed antenna and does have issues with poor reception. So I don't think it's all AT&T.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I did confirm today in Irving, TX (2weeks since last visit) that if I turn 3G off then I don't have the constant dropped calls with 3G.

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
My question is, why are we paying for 3G service when most of the time we can't receive it and when we can we have to turn it off because it drains our battery so fast? Other phones don't seem to have this much of an issue with signal / battery life.

ta2smitty

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
I get 3g with 4-5bars all the time. I haven't seen the edge icon yet on my phone. This is in San antonio. I've only had two failed calls so far.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
YOU want your ass kicked?.......just KIDDING!
I've had all the connection problems in Chicago ....and today it was really bad and I called At&t about return policy etc, and he suggested he redo my settings to the network and to poweroff for 5 min......same spot and connection was rock-solid permanently.....until...I powered off again, the the connection issues resumed.....sigh...

I get 3g with 4-5bars all the time. I haven't seen the edge icon yet on my phone. This is in San antonio. I've only had two failed calls so far.

ta2smitty

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
YOU want your ass kicked?.......just KIDDING!
I've had all the connection problems in Chicago ....and today it was really bad and I called At&t about return policy etc, and he suggested he redo my settings to the network and to poweroff for 5 min......same spot and connection was rock-solid permanently.....until...I powered off again, the the connection issues resumed.....sigh...
Oh and by the way this is my second 3g I had to replace the first one due to bad pixels. guess I just got lucky here. I was so worried about all of these dropped calls and 3g treads but I dd it anyway and so far it's been smoooth sailing. :cool:

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
My second 3G due to poor signal, dropped calls. Maybe I need a third 3G replacement?

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
With my 1st Gen iPhone I had not one dropped call, but with the 3G iPhone I get at least one a day, it happens on both 3G on and off. I have never had this problem with any phone in my life. I have had both 3G and non3G ones. Kind of dissappointing considering the true cost. I feel like I have a Microsoft PC as a phone having to restart and restore it so much.