"Bad Driving Declared an Epidemic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
So I was reading an article about how distractions while driving have gone to an all time high. I just thought to make the relation of increase in car accidents to the sales of iPhones. Are iPhones killing people? Well of course they aren't but people who are driving and texting/e-mailing are. What do you think about it?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
It's not just iPhones - or even just cell phones. Fact is, people today do anything to take their mind off of driving.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I was just thinking about this the other day while eating lunch. I was making a left hand turn while changing the song on my iPhone, and my cheeseburger was in my left hand so it was hard to try to downshift without any free hands and turn the wheel. I just took my hand off the phone really quick to downshift and then took a bite of the Big Mac and all was well. I hate it when I get grease on my phone though. They should really invent something to automatically clean your hands while you drive and eat.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I hate it when I get grease on my phone though. They should really invent something to automatically clean your hands while you drive and eat.
That sounds like a great suggestion for the "future iPhones" thread... iPhone 4G. Apple and WetOnes partner to create the first antibacterial phone! I think you're on to something.

Back to the topic, I can't drive a stick shift very well but it sounds to me like you're trying to do too much anyway.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
What got me was in the article it mention a woman on a motorcycle who was struck and kill from being hit from behind by a woman who was painting her nails. like WTF?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Back to the topic, I can't drive a stick shift very well but it sounds to me like you're trying to do too much anyway.
If you don't drive stick then you're not driving :sneaky:
And I think I can handle it, I haven't crashed yet--knock on metal.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I hope you don't crash, styfle. I don't drive manual either because I like cars to take me from point A to B as easy as possible. I drive a lot, especially to university every day, and the streets in Egypt are ALWAYS crowded so driving a manual-gear car is hard. Anyway, it's true. Distraction while driving does kill people. Not just the people who are texting while driving, for instance, but also other people they could crash into. I do not do that, and that is why I bought myself a good Bluetooth headset in order to speak while driving.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
If you don't drive stick then you're not driving :sneaky:
And I think I can handle it, I haven't crashed yet--knock on metal.
Sadly Stick will be a thing of the past at the rate all of the automakers are going.

It's going to be Automatic transmissions/tq converters, or Flappy Paddle double clutch ones for Premium cars.

The clutch, and manual 5speed and 6 speed transmissions are being phased out of many automakers lineups. F1 has a major part in this with lightning quick shifts and the fact that a driver never has to take his hands off the wheel. Germans, American and Japanese keep phasing it out. There arent many 2009+ exotics/supercars with 5/6 speed manuals with a clutch, and its flowing down to the premium cars and economy cars. Only small city cars/base models will probably have manuals. Last i heard Volvo is developing a special type of transmission for lorries.

Its going to be quite amusing when my children are like "whats a clutch" and "Why did that car have three peddles"

Anyway, to say people are distracted i think is overrated but also an understatement. Some people are good drivers and can manage whats going on around them, and whats going on inside the car well. Some cant. I personally think Bus drivers are amazing they have so much to worry about. The thing that scares me the most when driving is elderly. Either way if a person in a car has the audacity to roadrage then they're concentrating.

I had one ******* in a BMW 335i pull up behind me on the motorway and then flashed his highbeams and then kept them on so i would come out of his lane. I slammed on the brakes in spite. He slams on his hard, and then proceeds to overtake me on the shoulder, to which i floor it to close the gap between me and the person in front. At that point he hits his brakes as the wall for the overpass is coming up and i didn't see him again. Idiot.

And Florida is supposed to be smiles and sunshine. lmao.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If you were in the left lane, you deserved it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Are we all going to start bragging about how crap we are at driving now?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Whaddya mean, I'm the best driver I know. I can eat a taco, text, program a genius playlist, and plot a route in google maps all while parallel parking.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Doesn't matter how many lanes, if there's no one to your right, then that's where you should be. I'm not sure about the carpool lane rules, though. We don't have those here.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Interesting that you threw in that detail after being called out on it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, regardless, you really showed that guy, London. I think that's the real point to be taken away from this. You won.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Just as bad as bad driving is inconsiderate driving. Be aware of those around you and not only driving defensively, but considerately. If someone pulls up behind you and needs you to get over, then get over. You don't know if they have a real emergency, are rushing to be somewhere, or are just being a jerk. And if they're just being a jerk, you're being an even bigger jerk by antagonizing them or "trying to teach them a lesson".
And the last thing you want to do is antagonize a crackhead with road rage and a gun under his seat.

li2327

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
www.myspace.com
I've been known to text and drive. I'm working hard at not doing it. I've had to slam my breaks a few times to avoid rearending someone.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Does anyone remember that thread way back in the day when someone was talking about having their iPhone mounted and watching movies while they drive? I think maybe it was Sam, but I can't be sure. This kind of reminds me of that thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.