Bad experience jailbreaking

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
do not jailbreak. it will screw up your device and it voids your warranty. I lost a lot of stuff from jailbreaking. don't make the same mistake i did.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience, and hope your phone is back up to par now.

But ... this post is *not* a helpful one. Your one experience does not make for any sort of solid argument against jailbreaking generally. Even a quick glance throught the Mods related forum areas will show many happy jailbreak users with very stable phones.

Also, and probably more importantly, you gave ZERO indication of:
-- what kind of problems you had
-- circumstances surrounding same
-- any relevant details

Any of which *might* have helped someone avoid similar problems, or given someone more food for thought ...

H

Hayesimus

agreed. i've been jailbreaked/jailbroken since i joined EIC. Would never go stock...

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
Here's an argument for you:

because of jailbreak:
-i lost some contacts that i can never get back
-i lost all pics from my trip to boston
-i ALMOST lost my warranty ( I still have a few months left)
-my phone kept on restarting itself
-camera broke
-mail crashed
-i had to restore it and set up as a new phone and reconfigure it manually

It's fine now and i sync it almost everyday (incase something happens). If i didn't wanna set up as a new phone, i would have to pay $249 for repair. My parents would have been reallly pissed-the phone it self cost $399 (3G is $199). Never trust a hack.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Here's an argument for you:

because of jailbreak:
-i lost some contacts that i can never get back
-i lost all pics from my trip to boston
-i ALMOST lost my warranty ( I still have a few months left)
-my phone kept on restarting itself
-camera broke
-mail crashed
-i had to restore it and set up as a new phone and reconfigure it manually

It's fine now and i sync it almost everyday (incase something happens). If i didn't wanna set up as a new phone, i would have to pay $249 for repair. My parents would have been reallly pissed-the phone it self cost $399 (3G is $199). Never trust a hack.
Again, very sorry to hear you've had troubles, and especially to hear you've lost contacts and photos - that's never good.

But ... your 'argument' is still not much of one, because:
-- There is no good reason to lose contacts or pictures if you prepare properly for a jailbreak - i.e. make sure those exist on a computer that they can be synced back from - a very simple step to take.
-- You still have given no details at all on what errors you encountered, what jailbreak method you used, where / when / how things went wrong - any of the stuff that might actually help somebody else avoid similar issues, or even garner you some good advice for any (unlikely) next time.

H

Hayesimus

this is ridiculous. you didn't do it right apparently. don't blame the method when you didn't follow directions.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I am sorry you had all those problems. I have jailbroken several phones and my own has been jailbroken since I got it back in 2007. I have updated it to 1.1.2, 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 and re-jailbroke it every time. I install and uninstall programs daily testing out different software things and other than occasionally getting something like the screenshot program and didn't work right and caused problems I have not had any jailbreak related problems at all. If you back up your phone before doing the jailbreak and you follow the instructions you will have no problems with it at all, as the hundreds of people on this forum that are jailbroken have already proven.
If you go more indepth into the specifics of the problems you had, errors, anything like that then maybe someone can tell you what happened to cause it. You mentioned loosing all the pictures you took from your trip to Boston. If the pictures were only on the phone and you never synced them to your desktop computer and you just updated your phone without ever jailbreaking it you would have lost them anyway. The jailbreaking wouldn't have caused that. If you backed up your phone and synced the images off the phone then they would still be on your desktop so again you would not have lost them. Not sure what happened there but I can assure you, if you follow the instructions jailbreaking will not mess up your phone. Yes, it will void your warranty but again that is in the instructions and mentioned all over this forum so that shouldn't be a shocker to anyone considering doing this.

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
oh.............yeah, i guess your right. im just happy its all working and now i wo.nt have to jailbreak because of the app store. only 14 more days :)

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
you sound very ignorant man. i have restored and jailbroken numerous times. if you do your homework and know how to do it the right way, there should be no issues whatsoever. sure its hard to figure out certain things, but thats what this board is for. we all help each other out (some more than others).

also, the fact that you said your parents weren't happy leads me to believe that you are an immature spoiled kid who can't appreciate the things mommy and daddy give to him anyways. if you can't afford to lose something, you shouldn't be playing with it in the first place. just because you are either ignorant or careless, don't blame jailbreaking for your mishaps, grow up and take a little responsibility, you would be amazed at how well it helps sometimes....

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
ok. besides i learned my lesson the first time..............ithink ill stick obsessing over the 3G release. I don't jailbreak anymore. I tell people the jailbreak website for 1.1.4 but i don't hack my stuff anymore.

hac

Jun 27, 2008
I see both sides to this. Jailbreaking a device itself is not enough to make it unstable, but many apps do have bugs which can easily crash your device. And yes, jailbreaking does void your warranty, but Apple will never know after you restore it. My iPod Touch has repeatedly gotten a bit screwed up from jailbreaking, (not doing it the wrong way) but I've never run into an iPhone or iPod Touch that has been permanently damaged.

H

Hayesimus

i like your avatar hac! ;)

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
i think some people will proably stop jailbreaking once july 11 comes with the app store. I'm so excited! I'm gettin' me a 3G! Thank got i get coverage in florida

H

Hayesimus

um... banned? what did i miss?!

hac

Jun 27, 2008
can anyone tell me where to find a good tread/website for jailbreaking on a mac?
If your trying to jailbreak something now, I wouldn't because the AppStore comes out in six days anyway.