Bad iPhone! Edge / Phone Service

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
Try manually checking your email, press the little "get" circle with arrow, make sure the phone is pulling down email or checking the account... now while that's doing it's thing call your phone!

Phone doesn't ring, doesn't alert you NOTHING just goes STRAIGHT to voicemail!

Also can't check or send email while on the phone?

WHAT THE HECK?

hoop

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
arlington,texas
i can,ill be on the phone talking and then my phone viberates and that my email, samething with a text message and i can read my text mess as im talking on phone

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
seriously? Really?

What the heck, can you place a call and then try to send an email? what happens then? Mine says you can't use the phone and edge network at the same time? oh.. be sure your wifi is off.

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
Apple confirms

Talking to Apple now, they are so far telling me the phone was designed that way, so if you are browsing the web using edge your calls go to voicemail!

dietPEPSI

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
what exactly are you talking about?

If you are checking your email and somebody calls you, it wont ring and will send them straight to your voice mail?

Or are you saying that when you dial your own number using the phone it goes to the voicemail? because if you are im guessing you have never had a phone before,all phones do that....

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
I thought that was a limitation of all cellular networks, even 3G. On 3G, if you are using the network, and a call comes in, the data is paused, then the call goes through.

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
Nope

My Hermes allows calls and data at the same time. Just got of the phone with a systems engineer for iPhone at Apple. They can resolve this issue via a software patch but have no idea if or when they will release that patch.

What I'm talking about is this... make sure your wifi is off. now browse the web (make sure it's downloading) or better check email, not sms. Now while it's checking email attempt to call the phone...

or, place a call on the iPhone and while the call is in progress attempt to compose and send an email.

You will get a message (on the latter) that the phone can NOT use the EDGE network while in a call.

If you are using edge heavily (like I was today) you will miss calls (I missed 8 in a row)...

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
Right, I'm talking about w/o wifi

i don't dude, if im on the IE while in WiFi mode i can receive call and it pause my IE so i can take the call
Suppose you are traveling, and your looking up something online, no wifi, and at the same time someone is trying to call you. While the phone is connected to the edge data network the phone will NOT take a call. Basically when it goes edge data the phone part shuts down and vise versa.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Suppose you are traveling, and your looking up something online, no wifi, and at the same time someone is trying to call you. While the phone is connected to the edge data network the phone will NOT take a call. Basically when it goes edge data the phone part shuts down and vise versa.
Wow! Now that's contradictory. All of their marketing was geared to doing stuff like surfing and receiving a call. That's gotta change.

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
Apple Will not confirm if or when they will fix this

Apple told me that this was designed to "maximize" the edge experience, essentially the phone shares no edge bandwidth when in data mode, this way your downloads appear FASTER than other edge phones. Because the data channels used for voice on the edge network are shut off and the full bandwith is used for data!

EEK!

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
Well, it works with WIFI!

Wow! Now that's contradictory. All of their marketing was geared to doing stuff like surfing and receiving a call. That's gotta change.
I agree, I guess I missed this memo somewhere, oh yeah that's right no detailed specs before launch. This does HAVE to change. I understand making it work faster on edge but turning the phone ability off? WOW! That's a "unique" approach!

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
Apples Advice for me

Apple advised me to confirm the 14 day return on the phone, if they haven't released a patch by day 13 to return to the store for a full refund, Apple said they would resolve the 10% open box restock if att refused.

APPLE PLEASE FIX THIS! I WANT TO KEEP THIS PHONE!

But if it can't take calls, well.. it's not really a phone...

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
Easy Fix - come on Apple!

All Apple has to do is allow the phone to drop the edge data connection when a call comes in, or when the user places a call. The device can resume the transmission once the call is complete. Very standard... come on Apple.. pretty please with sugar on top? I'll by an 8 core pro if you do!

Jun 30, 2007
Im posting from my phone, so wish me luck.

How do i know if im using edge or wifi? I assime that the litle blue E above my browser is edge, but it says that it found my wifi connection and didn't report any provlems. It would be nice to be able to disable edge. Any help?

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
How do we forward this concern to Apple? This is a major limitation for those of us trying to use this phone to replace our Blackberry. I need to have the phone check for mail at least every 15 minutes, but this means I am constantly getting voicemails without any notice of the call.

I really need a fix for this or I will have to go back to a blackberry.:(:(:(:(