Bad luck

Discussion in 'iPhone X' started by Kobel1up, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Contributor
    Bronze

So I’ve had an iPhone since the iPhone 4 and never had this happen. I received my X last Friday. Had it in my pocket and it slipped out landed face down and cracked the screen.
    I have insurance, but it’s on back order and no word on when it will be available.
    I don’t know if new Apple products come with Apple care or even if they do will it cover a screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

Apple care plus covers accidental screen damage with a deductible. However, Apple care Plus is an add on feature you have to buy.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And you have 60 days in which to purchase it.

4. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Contributor
    Bronze

I would purchase it now, but that’s kinda cheating. And I’ve looked into having it serviced at an Apple store.
    Screen replacement at Apple is 279 and my insurance deductible is 200.

5. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

It’s 29 dollars with Apple care plus.

6. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

But that is on top of the 199 for the Apple care plus.

7. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Contributor
    Bronze

I saw that pricing, but since the screen is cracked now buying AppleCare + is 200 plus the 29 bucks. And they could see I bought the coverage after it was cracked and then not fix it. I will call and ask about options.

8. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

I️ have see Apple store employees let a person buy Apple care plus when a phone has been brought in damaged but still within the 60 days. Can not guarantee they will do this but they do have a lot of wiggle room to make customers happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Contributor
    Bronze

I thought about taking the chance on that. I hope the digitizer isn’t effected. Everything seems fine and the crack is up by the ear speaker, but it missed the front camera. I’ll be close to an Apple store next week.

10. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Man, sorry to hear about this dude. Best of luck in getting your X fixed and hopefully as inexpensively as possible.

11. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Contributor
    Bronze

I called the Apple support and they basically said it would be 279 to get fixed. That doesn’t mean at an Apple store they could do something different. But for 200 I can get a new phone through Verizon insurance. The phone works fine just has a 2 inch crack at the top.
    I did tell them I was displeased with the fact how easy I am seeing these screens crack. I read one article saying they are the easiest to crack.

12. Baller

Baller Member
    Bronze

Was it in a case or did you have some kind of screen protector? I doubt apple cares you were displeased. I’ve never broken a screen and I’ve had every phone since the 3

13. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Contributor
    Bronze

No screen protector but a case. Just how it landed is how the screen touched. I’ve had pretty much every other iPhone made. 4,5,6+ and 7+ dropped each of them on asphalt, tile floor, at work. Never broke a screen. The 4 and 6+ didn’t have a case on a couple of the times. I’ve only chipped the 4 and minor scratches to the 6+.
    I know they don’t care about me and my opinion. And at this point I’m undecided on what to do after I get it replaced.

14. Baller

Baller Member
    Bronze

That sucks regardless. Hope it works out

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Sorry to hear. I always use a protective case. Some are not, they're just for looks. I usually go with the Otterbox. I have the Otterbox Commuter on my 6s Plus. It's not too bulky at all. I had one major drop on a linoleum covered concrete floor. Face down. No damage. I never use a screen protector, as they don't do much for drops.

16. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Contributor
    Bronze

Well I spoke with my cell phone insurance company last night. They told me that since the iPhone X is on a large back order. If I purchase a new X they will pay all but the deductible. So I can get my phone faster. So I ordered another phone today.