Bad restore, need major help please...

Discussion in 'iPhone 3G' started by duran05, Oct 25, 2010.

1. duran05

duran05 New Member

hi everyone. first post and already having problems. story goes like this: wife had an iPhone 3g that had problems months ago and was sent in for replacement. got new iPhone 3g. it was used for months and NEVER synched to iTunes until today when i updated it to ios 4.1. when i synched it, it asked if i wanted to restore from a backup or set up as new. i chose restore from her old backup. the phone then updated to 4.1 but reverted to her old settings, mail, pictures and calendar. she lost all the new pics, etc. is there a way to get all that stuff back? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did she upload the new pictures to the computer prior to restoring from backup?

3. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I lost pictures on the iPhone in a similar way when the thing was maybe a week old. This has got to be my biggest peev about the device.

I wish personal data could be sectioned off and protected from restores. Do you think the iP5 will get a uSD slot.

Yes, it does warn you that you'll lose all data.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I doubt it.

I've been using iPhones for a few years now and I've never actually had a problem with this. I just make sure I sync at least once a week (as well as backing up my computer) so I'll never lose more than a week's worth of photos. I email important pictures to myself or upload them to my MobileMe gallery if I'm on vacation or something and can't sync with my computer. I hate to sound crass, but a little bit of responsibility goes a long way here. Setting the phone up in iTunes sooner, or at least uploading the pictures to the computer occasionally, would have prevented this. I would never trust my important photos to be stored solely on a mobile device.

5. duran05

duran05 New Member

In case anyone else has the same issue here's an update. Called Apple support today and turns out the new phone was never synced correctly. When I saw the old phone name under the drop down menu under "restore from backup" it never clicked in my head that it was her OLD phone and I restored from this older backup subsequently losing ALL NEW DATA. according to Apple support there is no way to go back either So for future reference, sync often to back your files up and make sure u choose the CORRECT backup when u do. I learned my lesson and hope no one else is as dumb as I am... Thanks to everyone that tried to help. We appreciate it

6. margiejo765

margiejo765 Member
    Bronze

lost my calendar in a full restore due to software issues when I brought my phone home after the Apple tech replace the damaged software, she cleared everything, I was told to set up as new phone I lost any recent contacts added old contacts and lost my calendar oh and messed up my iTunes over 100 songs have ? next to them, I really need some help! PLEASE!

7. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

Would iCloud not solve these problems?

8. margiejo765

margiejo765 Member
    Bronze

I hope that will but it doesn't help me now, I wish I had kept it all in google calendar, live and learn, I'm just so bummed that I lost all my dates in it :(