Ballroom Dance anyone?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I've been dancing for a couple months now, and what started off as a gift to my girlfriend for xmas has turned into an obsession.

I have to admit, I am not one for dancing, but once things clicked I've been smitten ever since. I built a dance floor in my garage to practice and have gotten to the point where I'm the one more excited about dancing than my girl is :p

I'm currently learning the Fox Trot, Waltz, Rumba, and Swing. My favorites are probably Waltz and Rumba. I really enjoy the fluidity of waltz, its almost lighter than air, and rumba is slowly becoming one of my bread and butter of dances. There's something about the Cuban Motion which can really make a man feel "sexy" if thats even possible. Just moving your hips the right way can turn heads in your direction, its quite a rush for such an introvert like myself. I'm a different person on the dance floor.

SO, who else here dances? How long have you been doing it? What are you favorites? Any music recommendations for the styles I'm learning? I just started waltzing to Feist's 1234, or was it a fox trot? Ah well, I can't remember, but it sure is fun all the same.

I just got back from dancing, my girl is out of town, and already I'm looking forward to practicing in front of the mirror for a few hours tomorrow. :p Gonna watch that Richard Gere movie with the lady tomorrow as well, the one where he ballroom dances in secret and eventually competes. I think I'm headed that direction, competition ballroom dancing, not the gerbil thing though.

Guys, if you want to make your lady feel like a million bucks, take her dancing! If you're single, learn to dance! Women LOVE a man who can dance, especially a man who can LEAD with passion and vigor!

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
My wife has told me for months now that she would like to start taking dancing lessons with me. I'm probably gonna do it soon, sounds like fun! She's actually danced all her life as a child and through high school and she misses it, thanks for this thread as it reminded me that I need to surprise her with some lessons soon. Or rather, I'm the one that needs the lessons, hehehe.;)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Hey no prob, make sure you pick a studio with a great vibe. Y'know, where the people are always cheery and eager to help. Taking instructions quickly turns to tedium if you're not in the right environment, so it helps to be around a lively bunch to uplift your mood into enjoying what you're doing.

Since your wife has previous dancing experience, as does my girlfriend, they're going to naturally want to lead you until you get the hang of it and take the steering wheel back. This is fine when we're still green, but when you start learning how to lead it can become a little frustrating to disagree on what you want to do next. You'll signal through one of your contact points to head one way, and shes pulling the opposite direction :p

Its all good fun.