Bandwith

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
Ok so I hope that everyone on this forum understands bandwith. I am a current cingular customer. I have noticed over the last couple of days that cingular has been messing with their data sevice. Has anyone else noticed? Well what has happened is this. The edge network was dropping out all day Tuesday and when it came back up and running it was twice as fast. So with that, have they fixed their problems on bandwith? I hope so, because for a while there it was getting to be a big pain. There were to many people connecting to the sevice for the network to handle. So this brings up my next question. With the high volume of new smart phones, ''iPhones'' joining the network, is there going to be a large problem with the bandwith? I mean how much would it suck to get your new iPhone and a week later it starts to take forever to connect to the internet. So I hope that is why they were working on their network. In preparation of the iPhone. I mean I live in SoCal where everyone and their brother are going to have the iPhone. Any thoughts? The good thing is that this site has become faster on my phone after what ever update they did to the network.

azwilly

Jun 11, 2007
Someone I work with here in Phoenix noticed the same type issues here in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago. He was bitching about it at lunch. At the time I just ribbed him and showed him my 'berry and the speed but now you bring this up it must be the upgrade they spoke of. Well anyway you could always contact their customer care if you have problems after launch :)

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
I totally understand what you are saying about customer sevice. Yet I have had this problem before. All they can do is reset the towers and your phone. And that has nothing to do with the bandwith. I have been using smartphones from almost the time they came out. the problem I see is that this is going to cause AT&T to put more cell towers up and build a larger network. which the cost will be dumped to us if it hasn't already. The only reason I know this is because my father retired from SBC and helped design the first PCS network in the U.S. if you do a little research you will find that SBC ownes AT&T and was the first to launch the didgital network. So yes I understand what you are saying yet because of my father I now how that company thinks and operates.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
During the time frame noted, I was using my BlackBerry on AT&T running EDGE without any problems at all. This may have simply been a local server issue in your case. Over the last several years I have experienced great service from Cingular / AT&T. I handle well over 100 emails a day, everyday and have not had any issues.

However that said, it must be taken into consideration that this is no different that any other network and cannot be perfect all the time. Also it's important to note that AT&T like most large scale enterprises does not make their own hardware, so the resultant failures are due to the equipment, not to AT&T.

Finally I'm not defending them, nor do I work for them, just a very satisfied AT&T Business & Personal customer, reporting the excellent service and my total satisfaction with the services they provide.

Obviously Steve Jobs feels the same way.

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
During the time frame noted, I was using my BlackBerry on AT&T running EDGE without any problems at all. This may have simply been a local server issue in your case. Over the last several years I have experienced great service from Cingular / AT&T. I handle well over 100 emails a day, everyday and have not had any issues.

However that said, it must be taken into consideration that this is no different that any other network and cannot be perfect all the time. Also it's important to note that AT&T like most large scale enterprises does not make their own hardware, so the resultant failures are due to the equipment, not to AT&T.

Finally I'm not defending them, nor do I work for them, just a very satisfied AT&T Business & Personal customer, reporting the excellent service and my total satisfaction with the services they provide.

Obviously Steve Jobs feels the same way.
I was almost was going to say you work for them when I read the first half. Yet I think that you are not getting my point. I am totally happy with their sevice too. and I also get a couple of discounts because my father worked for them for 30years and designed the system. Put it this way, the way the network works is this. I am in LA, you might be in LA, yet you are around 4miles away from me. your data connection is going to be different because you are using a different set of towers. The server is different from the one I am using. So just because you did not have any problems that day does not mean that you are already updated and are not going to have problems. You might not even be on the schedule to be updated that same day or might already be updated. all I am saying is that I know how my sevice works in my area for I have been using smartphones on the network for about 8 years. before anyone had a smartphone. my father gave one for me to test out. it was the old palm. I am just happy to see my connection speed jump up and was wondering if anyone else has noticed yet?

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Cingular was updating their network to improve the minimum speed (which is what you get if the cell you're using is full of users) from 40kbps to 80kbps.

So it's quite possible that your cells are usually full up, and the upgrade has helped. Either that, or everyone around you shut their PDAs off :)

They're also trying to update their entire network to handle HSDPA (3G speeds), for their other phones at least. Who knows when/if the iPhone will get upgraded.