Bang & Olufsen Earset 2 Bluetooth headset

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

edmartin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Let me start off by answering the obvious question... "a $400 headset? Are you nuts?"

No. I managed to get a pretty sweet deal on one on eBay and got it for a bit more than an Aliph Jawbone. So I am nuts to be in the high-end headset realm but not nuttier than a lot of others in that club. And keep in mind that many think us iPhone early-adopters are nuts for paying $500 or $600 for a cell phone. I guess the nut is in the eye of the beholder (or something like that).

Integration with the iPhone
Flawless. It took me maybe 30 seconds. On the Earset 2 side, you push & hold the button and flip out the mic arm (which is the on/off switch for the Earset 2). On the iPhone, just turn on Bluetooth. It found the Earset 2 immediately. I did have to enter the passcode (shhh... don't tell anyone but it's "0000").

When a call comes in, if the headset is not on, just swing out the mic arm to turn it on and you take the call. If the headset is off when the call comes in and you hit "answer" on the iPhone, it (obviosuly) goes to the iPhone earpiece. But then menu that comes up let's you switch the audio source. In the upper right of the normal iPhone call menu that comes up, it says "Audio Source" hit that button and you get a list of Earset 2, iPhone or Speaker Phone. Pick your poison. Or if the Earset 2 is already on (mic arm out) when the call comes in, you can hit the button on the headset to take the call or hit answer on the iPhone.

When placing a call, a menu comes up to ask which "output" you want to use. Again, if the Earphone 2 is on, it will default to that. Other options are the iPhone and the iPhone speaker. So you either take the default or hit the alternate option that you desire. And yes, it does list the device correctly as "Earset 2".

Quality of the Earset 2
Well, if you're going to charge $400 for a bluetooth headset, it had better be pretty darned good, right? B&O does not disappoint. The look & feel of the Earset 2 are beyond anything else I've tried (I've done Jabra & Jawbone myself & tried other people's). It's quite light but it has a very solid feel. It definitely has the typical B&O "Euro contemporary" look.

The fit is great. The earloop goes up & down as well as side-to-side so you can really adjust to any size and comfort. The foam-covered earbud sits nicely and comfortably. This no doubt adds much to what I'll talk about next.

The highlight has to be the call/sound quality. The speaker has 8 volume levels. Knowing that many (including me) aren't happy with the volume level on the iPhone, I'm happy to report that the Earset 2 more than takes care of it. Quite frankly, level 8 is too loud. 5 or 6 is great and much higher than the iPhone volume.

The clarity is like no other BT headset I've owned or tried. It's really spectacular - very clear and very big range (high highs and low lows). Impressive.

I haven't been on the receiving end of a call yet but reports from my crash-test-dummies are very positive. The noise-cancellation apparently works great. That's a big reason I wanted to try this unit because I have a convertible and nothing that I've tried (including the Jawbone) seems to work - I can't hear them and/or they can't hear me (at least not at an acceptable level). But the Earset 2 is the first device I've used that works both ways - I can hear great and people can hear me great without all the background noise.

Cons
- Price. The obvious one.
- Caller ID. The Earset 2 does not have a CID screen. Frankly, I didn't want one (and I knew the unit didn't have one) but for the price, you might expect it.

I hate the price but I love the device. They're pretty rare but if you lurk on eBay, I bet you can find a good deal on one, too.

kcarr91

Bronze
Apr 14, 2007
they are so much b/c you have to buy them from Europe and if you get one from england the ratio dollar to pound is crazy at 1:2 that one of the reasons that they are so price is the exchange rate

one pound will buy you something off the (dollar menu) it like the same over there but the exchange is what kills you

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I too drive a convertible and have been looking for a solution. As most modern convertibles, I don't have constant wind, but just the buffet that comes and goes. How does this really do in the wind?

Reference: the new Apple bluetooth is really bad.

the jawbone is almost as bad.

edmartin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Experience thus far is very good. I haven't tried the Apple BT but I did try the Jawbone and I agree with you (not good).

I want to get on the receiving end of a call to hear it myself, though. But that would require me to turn over my keys & headset. But I'll let you know when I do.

I too drive a convertible and have been looking for a solution. As most modern convertibles, I don't have constant wind, but just the buffet that comes and goes. How does this really do in the wind?

Reference: the new Apple bluetooth is really bad.

the jawbone is almost as bad.

Jul 23, 2007
Don't Own, but have tried it

I think it's the best headset too, tried it in the store and walked down the hall of a very loud mall. The caller on the other end said it sounded much better than my Jawbone. Although I can afford it, can't rationalize $350 for a BlueTooth. BUT! If i find one on eBay, she's mine ;-)

stewsan

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I've had the B&O BT for about a year. Maybe I received a defective unit but the only time my sound quality is good, is if there is a totally unobstructed line of sight between the headset and the phone. This means I can't put it my pocket or a holster. I've used it on several phones including the Serene and iPhone with the same results. It's a great headset but....

Jul 23, 2007
I would exchange it....

I've had the B&O BT for about a year. Maybe I received a defective unit but the only time my sound quality is good, is if there is a totally unobstructed line of sight between the headset and the phone. This means I can't put it my pocket or a holster. I've used it on several phones including the Serene and iPhone with the same results. It's a great headset but....

If I were you I would exchange it. The sales person told me they had an exchange policy for 1 year after purchase where they'll just swap it for a new one. Even if you damage it by stepping on it or if your dog bites it; they'll let you swap it out by charging you 50% of the sales price ($175). How cool is that!

Jul 23, 2007
Bang & Olufsen Earset 2 bluetooth vs. Apple bluetooth headset?

Let me start off by answering the obvious question... "a $400 headset? Are you nuts?"

No. I managed to get a pretty sweet deal on one on eBay and got it for a bit more than an Aliph Jawbone. So I am nuts to be in the high-end headset realm but not nuttier than a lot of others in that club. And keep in mind that many think us iPhone early-adopters are nuts for paying $500 or $600 for a cell phone. I guess the nut is in the eye of the beholder (or something like that).

Integration with the iPhone
Flawless. It took me maybe 30 seconds. On the Earset 2 side, you push & hold the button and flip out the mic arm (which is the on/off switch for the Earset 2). On the iPhone, just turn on Bluetooth. It found the Earset 2 immediately. I did have to enter the passcode (shhh... don't tell anyone but it's "0000").

When a call comes in, if the headset is not on, just swing out the mic arm to turn it on and you take the call. If the headset is off when the call comes in and you hit "answer" on the iPhone, it (obviosuly) goes to the iPhone earpiece. But then menu that comes up let's you switch the audio source. In the upper right of the normal iPhone call menu that comes up, it says "Audio Source" hit that button and you get a list of Earset 2, iPhone or Speaker Phone. Pick your poison. Or if the Earset 2 is already on (mic arm out) when the call comes in, you can hit the button on the headset to take the call or hit answer on the iPhone.

When placing a call, a menu comes up to ask which "output" you want to use. Again, if the Earphone 2 is on, it will default to that. Other options are the iPhone and the iPhone speaker. So you either take the default or hit the alternate option that you desire. And yes, it does list the device correctly as "Earset 2".

Quality of the Earset 2
Well, if you're going to charge $400 for a bluetooth headset, it had better be pretty darned good, right? B&O does not disappoint. The look & feel of the Earset 2 are beyond anything else I've tried (I've done Jabra & Jawbone myself & tried other people's). It's quite light but it has a very solid feel. It definitely has the typical B&O "Euro contemporary" look.

The fit is great. The earloop goes up & down as well as side-to-side so you can really adjust to any size and comfort. The foam-covered earbud sits nicely and comfortably. This no doubt adds much to what I'll talk about next.

The highlight has to be the call/sound quality. The speaker has 8 volume levels. Knowing that many (including me) aren't happy with the volume level on the iPhone, I'm happy to report that the Earset 2 more than takes care of it. Quite frankly, level 8 is too loud. 5 or 6 is great and much higher than the iPhone volume.

The clarity is like no other BT headset I've owned or tried. It's really spectacular - very clear and very big range (high highs and low lows). Impressive.

I haven't been on the receiving end of a call yet but reports from my crash-test-dummies are very positive. The noise-cancellation apparently works great. That's a big reason I wanted to try this unit because I have a convertible and nothing that I've tried (including the Jawbone) seems to work - I can't hear them and/or they can't hear me (at least not at an acceptable level). But the Earset 2 is the first device I've used that works both ways - I can hear great and people can hear me great without all the background noise.

Cons
- Price. The obvious one.
- Caller ID. The Earset 2 does not have a CID screen. Frankly, I didn't want one (and I knew the unit didn't have one) but for the price, you might expect it.

I hate the price but I love the device. They're pretty rare but if you lurk on eBay, I bet you can find a good deal on one, too.
Bang & Olufsen Earset 2 bluetooth vs. Apple bluetooth headset? Have you tried both headsets? Can you give me feedback?

stewsan

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I have a half a dozen BT headsets ( not Apple ) and the B&O. By far the B&O has better voice quality, mainly for the person you are talking to. I still experience the static when the phone is not in line of sight and I went to the B&O store and that unit did the exact same thing. I'm thinking it's just a BT thing.

The other good thing about the B&O is when you are out in the wind, for some reason the mic doesn't pick that up like other headsets.

Try one out, I think you can return if it's not what you like. The fit takes a little bit of playing with otherwise pretty good.

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio
The B&O Earset 2 has given me renewed value for my iPhone. Sound quality is very clear - so far, flawless in fact. Easy and intuitive to use and I also enjoy the fact that the device's design equals the cool factor of the iPhone itself.

I'd like it more if I could plug the charging station into a USB socket though.

Sep 10, 2007
B&O vs. Jawbone 2?

B&O vs. Jawbone 2?
Has anyone been able to compare these two headsets?
I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would like to know what a comparo between these two would be like...