Barely audible tones / no sound/ iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Terry M., Oct 15, 2012.

1. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

I had this problem on my iPhone 4 and so I knew what to do to try and fix it, but as far as I can tell this is the first time anyone has reported it happening on the iPhone 5.

If this happens, more than likely, you've had earphones or some type of cable plugged into the earbuds port. Try putting the plug back in and pull back out rather rapidly a few times. Surprisingly this seems to fix the problem. It did so on the older versions of the iPhone too but for those of you that are new maybe this will help you.

It seems the phone gets "stuck" for lack of a better term, in headphone mode. Really wish this is something Apple would fix in their upcoming phones.

2. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

I'll try it, I have a problem where all of the tones/alerts are low except for the ringtone

3. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Let us know if it works.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

4. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I remember having this issue on my iPhone 4 as well. I had to repeatedly insert and remove my thingy :eek: many, many times. Finally I was able to gain back audio without being in headphone mode. I hope this doesn't happen with the iP5!

5. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Sometimes that does happen. The phone thinks the jack is plugged in. But you also need to remember that you have 2 volumes. Ringtones play via the ringtone volume. System sounds play via your music volume in the music app. Pull that up and make sure your volume is equal to the ringtone volume and your other notification will be louder.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Good additional point!

7. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

There is a whole new thread on the Apple forums about sounds vanishing on any phone running iOS 6! There is clearly an audible bug in 6!

8. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

Yes my Facebook app is silent even though the rest are audible. I even deleted it and downloaded it a second time. No change.

9. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Facebook app silent you say? Ahhhhhhh...... at that one I say: silence is goldend. :D

10. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

I prefer to know when I get an alert. I mean I paid 400 dollars and a 2 year contract for a phone that functions properly. They really need to address the issue.

11. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Wow. Excellent advice. Thanks