Barely audible tones / no sound/ iPhone 5

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
I had this problem on my iPhone 4 and so I knew what to do to try and fix it, but as far as I can tell this is the first time anyone has reported it happening on the iPhone 5.

If this happens, more than likely, you've had earphones or some type of cable plugged into the earbuds port. Try putting the plug back in and pull back out rather rapidly a few times. Surprisingly this seems to fix the problem. It did so on the older versions of the iPhone too but for those of you that are new maybe this will help you.

It seems the phone gets "stuck" for lack of a better term, in headphone mode. Really wish this is something Apple would fix in their upcoming phones.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I remember having this issue on my iPhone 4 as well. I had to repeatedly insert and remove my thingy :eek: many, many times. Finally I was able to gain back audio without being in headphone mode. I hope this doesn't happen with the iP5!

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Sometimes that does happen. The phone thinks the jack is plugged in. But you also need to remember that you have 2 volumes. Ringtones play via the ringtone volume. System sounds play via your music volume in the music app. Pull that up and make sure your volume is equal to the ringtone volume and your other notification will be louder.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Sometimes that does happen. The phone thinks the jack is plugged in. But you also need to remember that you have 2 volumes. Ringtones play via the ringtone volume. System sounds play via your music volume in the music app. Pull that up and make sure your volume is equal to the ringtone volume and your other notification will be louder.
Good additional point!

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Yes my Facebook app is silent even though the rest are audible. I even deleted it and downloaded it a second time. No change.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I prefer to know when I get an alert. I mean I paid 400 dollars and a 2 year contract for a phone that functions properly. They really need to address the issue.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Wow. Excellent advice. Thanks