Based on iOS 9 feature announcements at WWDC, what do you like/dislike so far?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rafagon, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Based on iOS 9 feature announcements at WWDC 2015, what do you like/dislike so far?

[Disclosure: I have yet to watch the keynote in its entirety, I've only seen bits and pieces about new features on various sites.]

Here are some things I like/dislike so far:

Battery saving

Like:
    "Using ambient light and proximity sensors, your iPhone now knows when it's facedown on a table and will not turn the screen on, even when a Notification is received."

Like, but only if I can turn them off: "You'll get pop ups suggesting you turn on Low Power Mode when your iPhone reaches 20% and 10% battery life."

Like, but you'll only benefit if you do not upgrade your handset to the 6s or 6s Plus when it is released: "Other enhancements add an additional 1 hour of battery life to the iPhone with iOS 9." This does not mean that the upcoming iPhones (6s, 6s Plus) will get an additional hour of battery life as compared with the current iPhone 6 and 6 Plus! On the 6s and 6s Plus, the extra display resolution (rumored; if it comes to fruition) and the expected upgrade in RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB will likely cancel out this "additional 1 hour of battery life." But we will only know for sure when the 6s and 6s Plus are announced.

Find My Friends/iPhone

Like: "Find My Friends and Find My iPhone are both default apps with iOS 9 and come installed automatically. Before these needed to be downloaded from the App Store. Find My Friends can be added to the Notification Center, where it tracks the location of your friends."

#1 Rafagon, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I dislike the new system font.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

At least one site mentions a dedicated iCloud Drive app that "wasn't mentioned during the keynote." That site claims that the app lets you access files stored in iCloud Drive and they provided some screenshots:

iCloud-Drive-2-800x709.jpg

I'm assuming that this means that I'll be able to launch this iCloud Drive app, tap on the Numbers folder, then tap on a Numbers spreadsheet of my choosing and the app will launch and automatically open the document. If so, then I will give this iOS 9 feature/app a heartfelt Like.

4. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I won't be subscribing to the Apple Music. I have enough selections with other music apps, and I'm not a heavy music listener. I did like the enhancements with Siri and the Low Power Mode. I also liked the Wallet idea and improvements with Apple Pay.

5. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

Won't be subscribing to Apple Music either. Haven't listened to music on iPhone or iPad since taking delivery of my Pono Music Player back in December. It's music store found all of my music in iTunes for transfer to the player. "I ain't never goin' back!"

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

They look kind of hideous, but that's just my opinion. They also seem like they'd be highly uncomfortable in a pant pocket, shirt pocket, hell, any kind of pocket…

Pono-Players.jpg

Can you really tell the difference from the higher resolution audio (when the song you want is actually available in high-resolution format) through headphones? Or only when you connect it to your home stereo?

7. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

First of all I have a signature model(Patti Smith, which got me her favorite 2 albums from her catalog at no charge) which is very nice brushed aluminium shell. Yes I can tell the difference between a hi-rez version compared to the same songs from my iTunes(some of those come from iTunes some from my own CDs). A new feature is called Revealer. It lets you switch between multiple resolutions of the the same track, all the way down to MPs. Drawbacks include; no single track purchasing, only albums; some big name artists cost $27 and up for one of their standard albums with the original number of tracks at the highest rez, whereas someone like The Clash might have as many as 35 tracks for less than $20. Not saying that The Clash weren't big time, but the high priced culprits are the usual suspects, Stones, Zeppelin, etc. No Beatles, yet. No U2, probably never due to their connection with Apple.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Hopefully, this will allow us to use iCloud Drive like DropBox and access all types of files as well as upload photos and videos. The screenshots don't show if it has a link to email attachments from iCloud Drive, but it needs that since we can't access the file system on stock iOS.

I like how it has a "Show on Home Screen" toggle. I hope they also add this option for other stock apps that many people don't use and would like to hide.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I see the new search as being incredibly useful. I also like the swipe right to search from the home screen.

quick-contact-1.jpg

10. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I wonder if we will be required to start using the new six digit security code during installation of iOS9 or if the current four digit code will be "Grandfathered" for some period of time?
    I like the improvements to Notes but question how well it will sync with MS Outlook's Notes if a photo is imbedded into the iDevice's note, MS Outlook doesn't currently provide for inserting anything but text.
    As others have stated, I too will not be using the new music service. My taste in music runs from the 1940's through the mid 1980's rock, country, jazz and blues. I have an extensive collection of slightly over 200 GB worth of mp3's and have no need of yet another way to use up my monthly data allotment or income.
    As for the battery saving features, there seems to be some confusion (at least on my part anyway) as to how well they may work on existing devices. While I don't have any issues with battery life in my iPhone 6 or iPad2 or my wife's iPhone 5S, a little extra battery life can never hurt.
    I'll reserve judgement on the inclusion of "Find My Friends" as a mandatory part of iOS9. I use the app regularly and would hope that my current settings and "Friends" will be migrated to the new app and not have to be re-input.
    The changes to Siri and Search seem to be worthwhile and I am eager to start playing with them and the changes to other areas as well.

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

No, you are required to enter six digits. And yes, it's annoying, but more secure.

12. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Thanks Chris,
    I kind of figured that would be the case but one can always hope. For myself, it doesn't make much difference as I use the fingerprint scanner 95% of the time plus I already have a 6 digit code picked out but my wife's iPhone 5s and my iPad 2 are another story. Overall, no biggie, I can't wait to start playing with all of it.

13. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I liked everything. I may try the music service since it's free for 3 months.

14. james2475

james2475 New Member

I like the lock rotation feature , I don't think that was one previous versions

15. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I'll reserve full opinion on the enhancements once I install iOS 9, but for now...

I like the Foundation concept. Longer battery, faster apps and better security. The Siri upgrades will be useful. With the Intelligence addition, the jury is still out.

I'm left a bit empty on the rest. I'm not a Apple Pay user as my credit union isn't supported. I have an iPad 2 so I doubt I'll get all of the Multitasking features. The app updates appear to be playing catch up. I use Flipboard now, so we'll see how News compares. I an a huge Evernote user. Notes doesn't appeal to me since I have years invested in Evernote. That's where my content is. Perhaps they will have a migration plan. I'm not a big city guy, so the Maps update isn't exciting for me. I'm a Google Maps user. The other old guys on here have me wondering about the new system font now. So there's that.

While I see this iOS update has some nice things, it is just not as exciting for me as some of the previous releases have been.

16. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I read that the 6 digit will be the default, however, there are options available to change it back to 4.

17. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Will those options require jail breaking? None of my devices are jail broken and I do not really want to do so. Tried it and had too many problems for my liking.

18. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

The article I read had no mention of jailbreaking. I think it may have been on Gizmodo.

19. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

20. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I read the Cult of Mac article and it looks like reverting to a 4 digit security code is a possibility during the installation of iOS 9. It would not be a really big deal to have to go to a 6 digit code on one device or account but it seems that everyone from financial institutions to the auto parts store down the street wants me to come up with a new password every time I turn around. I have had to resort to using an app called 1Key to list them all as there is no way I could remember every one of them because of the frequent changes.