Basic Internet Question

MotherTucker

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
This question os so stupid I can't even find the answer in any of the threads. I'm starting to have a horrible feeling that I've overlooked something. Just because iPhone connects to the internet doesn't mean sh** unless I'm near a hotspot right? I don't have wifi at home and I'm not sure if my job has it - am I screwed - I really need it for work. :sick:

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
This question os so stupid I can't even find the answer in any of the threads. I'm starting to have a horrible feeling that I've overlooked something. Just because iPhone connects to the internet doesn't mean sh** unless I'm near a hotspot right? I don't have wifi at home and I'm not sure if my job has it - am I screwed - I really need it for work. :sick:
if WiFi is not available, the phone will connect to the Internet over EDGE (the AT&T cell phone system)

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Really? Thanks! So I always have internet? Why would anyone connect to WiFi then?
----

wherever you have a cell connection, you can access the Internet.

BUT.... this access is quite a bit slower than a WiFi connection. This may be OK for email messages but trying to use web browsing is a challenge in patience.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
A client—when you're dealing with the Internet—is considered to be the receiving end of a conversation. The server is the sending end.

In other words, a client is anything that accesses services from a server. Yahoo's webmail is a mail client, just as Apple's Mail application on the iPhone is also a mail client. Your web browser is a client as well but for a different service.