Basic Internet Question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MotherTucker

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
This question os so stupid I can't even find the answer in any of the threads. I'm starting to have a horrible feeling that I've overlooked something. Just because iPhone connects to the internet doesn't mean sh** unless I'm near a hotspot right? I don't have wifi at home and I'm not sure if my job has it - am I screwed - I really need it for work. :sick:

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
This question os so stupid I can't even find the answer in any of the threads. I'm starting to have a horrible feeling that I've overlooked something. Just because iPhone connects to the internet doesn't mean sh** unless I'm near a hotspot right? I don't have wifi at home and I'm not sure if my job has it - am I screwed - I really need it for work. :sick:
if WiFi is not available, the phone will connect to the Internet over EDGE (the AT&T cell phone system)

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Really? Thanks! So I always have internet? Why would anyone connect to WiFi then?
----

wherever you have a cell connection, you can access the Internet.

BUT.... this access is quite a bit slower than a WiFi connection. This may be OK for email messages but trying to use web browsing is a challenge in patience.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
A client—when you're dealing with the Internet—is considered to be the receiving end of a conversation. The server is the sending end.

In other words, a client is anything that accesses services from a server. Yahoo's webmail is a mail client, just as Apple's Mail application on the iPhone is also a mail client. Your web browser is a client as well but for a different service.