Battery 97%, unplug and replug shows 100%

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 1, 2007
Why does my phone start doing this? I recalibrated the battery the other day. was getting about 6 hours on 1 charge at 1 percent. It then jumped about double the battery and dropped to 49 percent at 5 hours and 58 minutes last night. I was happy. I fell asleep, and I recharged today. I accidentally unplug the phone at 97%, I replug it back in and it shows 100%.

I hard reset the phone, and no dice. I think it just messed up my recalibration :(

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Why does my phone start doing this? I recalibrated the battery the other day. was getting about 6 hours on 1 charge at 1 percent. It then jumped about double the battery and dropped to 49 percent at 5 hours and 58 minutes last night. I was happy. I fell asleep, and I recharged today. I accidentally unplug the phone at 97%, I replug it back in and it shows 100%.

I hard reset the phone, and no dice. I think it just messed up my recalibration :(
I'm not sure how you recalibrate your battery, but I let it fall to a percentage level usually no less than 50% and then charge it to 100%. Once a month, I'll let the battery drain completely and then fully recharge it. Once there is a full charge, I let the battery drop to the 50% or around there mark again. Using this system, I've had great battery life on my iPhone 6. I've had between 60-70% by the middle of the day.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Once a month, I'll let the battery drain completely and then fully recharge it.
This is the method I use, when I remember to do it.

I've had my 5s two years and still have great battery life. I've been less disciplined with battery maintenance than I have with previous iPhones with no ill effect. By that I mean I'm more likely to plug it in and unplug it willy-nilly without letting it fully charge or run down to a certain level before charging.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This is the method I use, when I remember to do it.

I've had my 5s two years and still have great battery life. I've been less disciplined with battery maintenance than I have with previous iPhones with no ill effect. By that I mean I'm more likely to plug it in and unplug it willy-nilly without letting it fully charge or run down to a certain level before charging.
That's not bad. I do that every day.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The phone wants to avoid applying an overcharge to the battery too often, as this can degrade the performance. I don't know what exactly that threshold is, but maybe 96-100%. It will go ahead and finish off the last 5% if it's already plugged in at the time it reaches 96%, but if you unplug and plug it back in anywhere within that threshold, it will wait until it drains a bit before topping it off. I believe it pretends that it's 100% in this state to avoid confusion over why the phone is not charging, but the actual charge level is still the same.

lancer_325

Bronze
Jun 9, 2010
This one is strange. When I quit shut all apps and put the phone on Airplane Mode I charge it to 100% I find the charge lasts much longer than just plugging in the phone and charging it up. I don't know why there is this difference but I have tested this now for a week and definitely quitting apps and charging on airplane mode seems to hold a charge for longer. Anybody seen this?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Can't think of any reason that'd be the case, but I'm often wrong. The usage pattern of a phone is very hard to duplicate from one day to the next, so you could've just been lucky, had great signal where it didn't need to turn up the radio power, not gotten a lot of notifications or background refreshes, etc.

Naturally, shutting down everything and going to airplane mode will make the phone use less power, so more of the current it draws from the power supply is available for charging. All that means is it may make the phone charge slightly faster. But once you are at 100% and turn everything back on, there should be no difference between one charge and the other.

The only thing I can think of is that you may have let it charge to the "real" 100%. Even though the phone says 100%, there is sometimes still a tiny amount of current still being drawn to top off the battery (the difference between 99.5% and 100% perhaps, however small that may be).

Sara

Bronze
Nov 22, 2015
Mine and my husbands do this. Noticed it the first week we got the phones. If it is at 97% and I unplug and replug it, it jumps to 100.