battery better or worse for sixteen than 8?

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
does the sixteen gb 3g iPhone eat more battery because it handles more memory? Also is it bigger than the 8gb in physical size?

Mar 11, 2008
No difference

It will make absolutely no difference, battery life will be the same.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like my battery life is MUCH shorter than my 2G. Should I keep 3G off most of the time?

Perplex

Silver
Jul 5, 2008
Columbus, GA
www.myspace.com
I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like my battery life is MUCH shorter than my 2G. Should I keep 3G off most of the time?

That's what I do. I just enable 3G when i'm surfing, and turn it off when i'm done.

Necessary steps to conserve power -- i'm sure there will be an app to quickly disable/enable. Maybe there is one already?

laststanding

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
wow.. You are right.. It sucked.. i charged my battery yesterday evening around 7pm.. i woke up this morning and my batt was dead... i dint even used my phone a lot

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
does the sixteen gb 3g iPhone eat more battery because it handles more memory? Also is it bigger than the 8gb in physical size?
Memory is the same for both. One just has more file storage space than the other.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
really i can't compplain about my battery, its better than my old iPhone, but it did have battery issues

ratstarwars

Bronze
Jun 8, 2008
I noticed some juice leaving my 3g a little earlier than usual...then again Ive been using it a lot over the last 12 hours. Battery should be ok. Guys beware of wifi being on when u don't need it. Juice Juice

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I noticed some juice leaving my 3g a little earlier than usual...then again Ive been using it a lot over the last 12 hours. Battery should be ok. Guys beware of wifi being on when u don't need it. Juice Juice
I think you have a valid point. I don't have the 3G, but I remember last year when the phone was new and you were playing with it almost 24/7. When usage gets to normal I think you will see better battery life.

Mar 11, 2008
We are talking about two different things now.

Q: Does the 16GB iPhone drain the battery faster than the 8GB one?
A: No. Storage capacity is irrelevant, battery life will be the same.

Q: Is the battery life of the iPhone 3G shorter than that of the original iPhone?
A: Yes, most likely. UMTS/HSDPA(aka "3G") uses much more power than EDGE, thereforee battery life will be shortened if 3G is turned on. With 3G turned off, and EDGE is being used, then battery life should be better than the original iPhone.