battery charging question

meems

Bronze
Dec 3, 2008
For overall battery lifespan, is it better to have the iPhone connected to a charger (wall/computer/car) whenever possible? Or is it better to let the battery run down before charging?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I charge mine whenever I can. About once a month I let the phone die completely and do a full charge.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
its good practice to charge the phone and discharge it, by discharging it on regular basis it prolongs the life of the battery itself- thereforee you need not charge it every 6 hours (unless you play with it that much and its always dead)

also if you want to have as much battery life as possible on a day to day basis do these things-

Turn off auto brightness
Turn off 3G
Turn off Location Services
Turn off wifi when not being used
Turn off bluetooth when/or if ever used

hope this answers your question

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Do yall think its bad for the battery to charge it with a non Apple usb cable? I have just started to use a usb extender with my stock Apple wall charger and usb cable. Will it hurt my battery and does Apple make a longer usb cable?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Do yall think its bad for the battery to charge it with a non Apple usb cable? I have just started to use a usb extender with my stock Apple wall charger and usb cable. Will it hurt my battery and does Apple make a longer usb cable?
Won't hurt the battery, but the extender probably shouldn't be over 4'-6' in length.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Well, I was off on my lengths. Here is a site with some good info on the subject.
It looks like up to 10' and you will be OK.
Thanks for finding that for me. I think have seen a thread on non Apple chargers/cables hurting the battery. Not sure though ill look for it when i get home

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Thanks for finding that for me. I think have seen a thread on non Apple chargers/cables hurting the battery. Not sure though ill look for it when i get home
Some chargers could, but USB cables are cables. I personally buy good brands, but not sure that is really necessary.

jdk2

Bronze
Dec 2, 2008
Stratford, NJ