Battery Died - Replaced, still doesn't charge!

May 31, 2007
Hi. Recently I plugged my iPhone into an unofficial charger. It went hot and basically died. I opened my iPhone up and replaced the battery. It seemed to work - although it was very dodgy. When I tried to plug it into the dock it made a crackle noise and didn't charge. It opens iTunes when I plug it in. It sporadically turns itself off, it's generally really unreliable. Anyway, the battery has eventually run out and now I'm back to square one.

Anyone got any ideas? I really don't want to have to pay for a new one...

PS - I've got an LG Viewty if anyone wants to swap it with a working iPhone?!

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
just go ahead and buy a new one. By you opening it up you voided the warranty. Had you taken it to a Apple store they would of swapped it for a new one or atleast sent it for repairs. Was your iPhone jailbroken?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Sorry to say your are SOL now.:( Only thing to do now is get a new phone and learn from your mistake.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Hi. Recently I plugged my iPhone into an unofficial charger. It went hot and basically died. I opened my iPhone up and replaced the battery. It seemed to work - although it was very dodgy. When I tried to plug it into the dock it made a crackle noise and didn't charge. It opens iTunes when I plug it in. It sporadically turns itself off, it's generally really unreliable. Anyway, the battery has eventually run out and now I'm back to square one.

You should have never opened your iPhone yourself. You should have taken it to an Apple store and exchange it or get the batteries replaced.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.

This sounds shady to me. Who in their right mind would do this? PLUS you're obviously aware of this forum, and you probably would have searched before just popping your phone open. I smell troll.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This sounds shady to me. Who in their right mind would do this? PLUS you're obviously aware of this forum, and you probably would have searched before just popping your phone open. I smell troll.
Especiall with that PS added.

May 31, 2007
The thing is, the iPhone was purchased in the US, i live in the UK. It was jailbroken and working with a piggyback sim. It wasn't as simple as taking it back to the store - I would have had to go to New York! Any constructive, technical advice? I know a website where I can purchase pretty much any part so if i know what part it is then I can probably replace it...

May 31, 2007
I certainly am not trolling by the way. I really do want to fix this thing and thought someone might have had this problem and know what needs replacing - that's all. Personally, I really don't see the point of 'trolling' so please don't gang up on me. I'm the victim of shoddy Apple manufacturing - nothing else. Help!

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
serious error in judgment, my man. If you don't know what the hell you're doing, then don't do it! Should NEVER have opened it up. Shoddy Apple manufacturing? I doubt that. More like an idiotic idea to dissasemble an electronic device when you have no idea what you're doing.... Don't blame your recklessness on Apple.

Tough crap. Buy a new one and use your brain this time.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The only other action you could have tried is to have contacted the charger manufacturer and presented them with your problem- provided that they state that their charger works with the iPhone.
But since you opened it and replaced the battery, you are pretty much SOL.
Time to suck it up, reach deep in your pockets and buy another. Maybe a 16GIG this time. <and only use authorized equipment>

May 31, 2007
Thanks Hawk. I do realise that opening it wasn't the best idea but I really didn't have much choice - I wasn't covered and the iPhone was broken.

By the way OJsakila you fool - I already contacted Apple who had told me it wasn't covered as it was purchased in the US and I was using it in the UK whilst Jailbroken. At the end of the day, the iPhone broke due to bad manufacturing. I replaced the battery because (reading through these forums) there are loads of issues with faulty batteries so as the iPhone wasn't covered and I knew how to replace it I thought I'd give it a bash, but it didn't help. At the end of the day the batteries on loads of these things are fucked - Apple wouldn't help me so I tried it myself. I haven't damaged it any further than it was already so I'm pretty much in the same place I already was.

Also don't send over personal insults to me as you wouldn't do it to my face - I assure you. I'm sick of idiots like you hiding behind your IP address and acting all tough from behind your computer screen. I only asked for help - stop being a twat.

May 31, 2007
Thanks Hawk. I've looked on other forum sites and they've told me I should replace the logic board. You might want to pass this information onto other people should they come on here...

As for you OJsakila, don't be so bloody rude to people. People write on these forums for help, not to be abused. Don't sit there behind your IP address insulting me, I assure you that you wouldn't do it to my face because I'd put your teeth down your throat.

I wasn't covered by Apple in the first place so I had nothing to lose by opening it. When I replace this logic board and get it going again I'm going to come back on here so you can kiss my furry ass.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
This company has lots of OEM parts, but I suggest finding someone to do it for you.
http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-c-256_374.html
You'll need to do a search, but I know that there is a company that can replace the logic board for you. I just cannot recall who said that they do it.
You might want to contact either :
http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-103-iphone.aspx
or
http://www.ipodjuice.com/iphone-battery-replacement-products.htm

As far as other members of this forum, you need to take everything with a grain of salt. Remember, at least 70% of the emotion and inflection in these posts are of your own creation. The other 30% is usually (but not always) a little sarcastic and in jest.
If someone cannot offer help, ignore them -plain and simple.

Found it:
http://www.ipodjuice.com/AB4F1D8928...GB1400&spath=Home+>+iPhone&path=Home+>+iPhone
Look under NOTE 1