Battery drain on iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by silvermoon, Feb 24, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm usually good about keeping my battery at above 50% or more. Lately, I've let my battery fall to what I think are dangerous levels between 10 and 20 percent. I read that you want to keep the battery charged above 30%. Is this bad for the battery? I know everyone has a different answer on what is considered safe. I don't want to put any stress on the battery. When do you charge your phone?

2. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Generally speaking, batteries last longer if you keep them from falling below 20%. It's no longer necessary to worry about "battery memory" like when we used NiMH batteries.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The new trend is to A-B-C: Always Be Charging.

This person seems to take it to a comical extreme:

http://alwaysbecharging.tumblr.com (scroll up/down to navigate the set of pictures)

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

What I have learned from various posts here, from Apple tech support and from personal experience is:
    1. Over a three year or so period of time the battery will slowly loose capacity with age until it discharges too quickly, after a full charge, to be useful. Sooner or later, that is going to happen no matter what. When it happens depends on the number of charge/discharge cycles the battery has been put through.
    2. Letting the battery run down completely before charging back to 100% vs. keeping it at a high charge percentage will not change the outcome of #1 above. There are only so many charge/discharge cycles in any battery and when that limit is reached you're done, change the battery or change the phone.
    3. However, occasionally (3 or 4 times a year?) allowing the battery to run down until the phone shuts off by itself and then fully recharging it allows the phone's battery monitoring circuitry to adjust to that loss of capacity and adjust its battery state of charge indicator accordingly to more accurately display the amount of charge left in it at any given time. (sometimes known as calibrating the battery).

Good Luck Y'all

5. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

And THIS is the crucial point with which I agree 100%. I have changed three iPhones over the past years and can confirm. Btw, the most annoying is when you have less than 10% battery charge left and you see the percentage diminish at a rate 1 per minute. Then you switch to Airplane mode once you reach 1% and it can survive for at least another two hours. :)

6. Nishant

Nishant New Member

Hi what's the usage time that we can expect ? I get around 5 hours with wifi on !

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It varies with your usage habits.

8. Nishant

Nishant New Member

Yeah I know !if I use Fb,twitter and browse it drains a lot !what can I do ?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Get a small battery charger.

10. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

If all's well with the hardware, there are only two choices, charge more often or use it less.

#10 iPutz, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

?

12. Nishant

Nishant New Member

Thanks but how many hours do you you get?

13. Nishant

Nishant New Member

Also how do I import Fb birthdays to calendar in 7.1 ..it's not at all syncing !

14. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

15. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Occasionally I get two days off a charge. Only rarely do I need to charge before the end of the day. 80% of the time I'm on Wi-Fi at home but do a lot of surfing and playing music. I would put my daily usage at about 30% of my waking hours the phone is doing something besides sitting idle.

16. Nishant

Nishant New Member

Do you use Fb ? Only surf and listen to music ?

17. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Forgot to mention 20 or more phone calls a day. FB yes, EverythingiCafe on and off all day plus e-mail and texts.

18. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Forgot to mention 20 or more phone calls a day. FB yes, EverythingiCafe on and off all day plus e-mail and texts.

19. Nishant

Nishant New Member

You get more than 8 hours of usage ?

20. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

That would be a fair guess. I plug the phone in to charge and turn it off just before going to bed then turn it on and take it off charge when I get up in the morning. I've been up for 5 hours today and still have 88%.