Battery drain seems fast lately...

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Jdsmitty10, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1397736138.969854.jpg

Seems like all I did on my phone today was check email and FB but I'm already down to what you see in the pic. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure I have most of the battery saving settings on my phone set up right. I had to plug in yesterday at 4pm cause I was down to 9% after being at work all day and occasionally using the phone. This morning I did my typical email/FB then drove to work and was at 92% when I got here and as I type this it dropped to 82% since I took that screen shot and typed this out. Any pointers on what could be suddenly causing fast drain?
    Thanks

Sent using iCafe app

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That doesn't look too bad. A lot depends on how you use your phone. You have bluetooth turned on. That will drain your battery. If you're not using it, turn it off. Here's some more battery saving tips.
    http://www.everythingicafe.com/fix-battery-life-ios-7/

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Disabling Bluetooth is an inconvenience and a waste of time. It has a negligible impact on battery life when it's in standby. I've always left Bluetooth on 24/7 on all of my iPhones and it has never been a problem.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You may be right. I don't use bluetooth and was going on what I've read in battery saving tip guides. Thanks for the info.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

A lot of the so-called battery-saving guides are full of crap. :D

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've noticed that. They list every possible thing done on an iPhone and tell you not to do it. O_o

7. yukhalilsel

yukhalilsel New Member

The most appreciated advise of an ex Genius Bar guy was not to hard-close any apps you use the most, to reduce ram use.

By hard-closing an app, you are deleting it from the ram and everytime you restart it, it has to be loaded in the ram again. This is very battery-consuming..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Pjaa

Pjaa New Member

I have really noticed bad battery drain in last couple weeks .… not sure why or what's going on. I use it periodically through the day and charge it after work in between my jobs! Then it's good till bed time !

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Your battery could be wearing out. How old is your phone? Here's a way to test your battery drainage.
    This comes from former Genius Bar tech, Scotty Lovelace.

"Your Usage time should be accurate to how much you've used it since you took it off the charger.
    So here's the test: write down your Usage and Standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last."

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The link that @Ledsteplin provided (http://www.everythingicafe.com/fix-battery-life-ios-7/) is a great start, but it is extremely hard-core, with some of the tips having negligible impact on battery life. For example, Europa herself stated that "Disabling Bluetooth is an inconvenience and a waste of time." I happen to agree with her on this (but I keep my BT off because I don't use any BT accessories).

The truth is that, if you can afford to upgrade your handset every 18 or 24 months, you should go ahead and enjoy all the features your iPhone has to offer—push notifications, push instead of fetch for e-mails, etc—because by the time your battery life begins to suffer due to repeated charge/discharge cycles, you'll be getting a new iPhone. Obviously, don't keep Wi-Fi enabled if you don't have a Wi-Fi network set up at the place where you spend the greater part of your day, be it home or work. That's just plain wasteful, a constant hunt for a Wi-Fi signal that you already know will not be available for eight or more hours. Also, a lot of apps send you useless push notifications that will basically just get on your nerves—disable those.

I notice you have LTE set to on. You have four out of five dots, which means a good signal. But if you don't do a lot of heavy Internet surfing while you're out and about and away from a Wi-Fi signal, you may want to disable it altogether. Here in Miami, the speed increase I gain from keeping LTE enabled isn't worth it, so I mostly keep it disabled. Also, FYI, keeping LTE on will do nothing to increase your call quality at the moment. In fact, the iPhone switches to 4G when you make a phone call and switches back to LTE when the phone call is complete.

On that day when your battery charge dropped a lot, did you place or receive a higher-than-normal number of voice calls? I'm asking because, if you have LTE on and call someone, or someone calls you (via a traditional phone call, not FaceTime or FaceTime Audio), you will notice that the LTE indicator on the status bar will switch to 4G and stay that way until the call is complete. When you hang up, the phone has to "hunt" for an LTE signal and latch onto it again. This process itself may have a small impact on your battery. One or two phone calls will have a negligible effect, but if you have LTE toggled on and are constantly making or receiving phone calls all day long, your phone will be constantly switching between LTE and 4G, and the constant swtiching will add up, in terms of eating up your battery. Currently, placing a traditional voice call over LTE simply isn't possible yet, which is why the phone switches to 4G. (I'm speaking about here in the USA; in other countries it may be different).

This will hopefully change in the near future, but it will likely involve at the very least an iOS update, and it will also require a carrier software update—all of these things take time, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Not all carriers will enable VoLTE (voice over LTE, which means the phone will stay on the LTE network while you place or receive a voice call) at the same time.

#10 Rafagon, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  11. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the reply.. I actually don't even have LTE most places where I live. At work I do and hit or miss in the town I live in so I prob would be better off turning it off. Thanks for that tip. Right now as I type this in my house I have one dot no LTE. That probably contributes to the drain as well. I really don't talk on my phone hardly at all. Usually surfing or texting/emailing. Occasional phone calls here or there.

Sent using iCafe app

12. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Oh and I do upgrade every two years. Why not when I can make money selling my old one on eBay.

Sent using iCafe app

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Smart fella.

14. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

It's a no brainer

Sent using iCafe app

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I have sold all of my iPhones via eBay. It's been perfect. :)

16. JON35Y

JON35Y Member
    Bronze

iPhone 5 is the first phone that I've ever had to put a battery in. Mine failed after 17 months. The drain was terrible though so maybe yours is something else?!

17. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Recently it seems like my battery had been draining fast. A lot of times at 30 or even 40% it shuts down. All I can think of are turned off that I think would cause this. Any suggestions?
    Thank you

18. LaurieSue

LaurieSue New Member

Battery has been a problem always but seems worse with ios8. Last night I turned off wifi, turned off blue tooth, closed all open apps and had phone on Do Not Disturb. Battery was at 100% when I put it down and at 41% when I picked it up in the morning. Unfortunately my battery is not eligible for replacement by Apple. When I checked battery usage in settings it said 40% of usage was from Home & Lock Screen.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If you're experiencing battery life issues on iOS 8, consider that many settings may have changed or reverted back from where you set them. Go through your settings and check all the suspect battery eaters. Also consider that after installing the new operating system, you may be using your phone more checking stuff out. Before you cry, "BATTERY", make sure your settings are where you want them and wait until normal use returns. Then see how it goes.

20. alicepattinson

Bronze

Oh wow! I just know this now. Let me try this and see if there's any improvement in my batt life. Thanks! :)