Battery drainage discovery

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by TeriFig, Nov 6, 2013.

1. TeriFig

TeriFig New Member

Hi all. I recently bought the 5S (used 4 for 2 years now). I had read about battery drainage issues, but in using the 5S I didn't notice any problems. Well that was until I added a third page of apps. Right away after being fully charged to 100%, it dropped 2 points instantly. I had only added 3 apps. Then I decided to experiment and consolidate my apps into folders, just enough to only need two pages. Now my battery is back to normal. No drainage issues. Anyone notice that?

Sent using iCafe app

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Welcome to the forum.

I have never noticed that. I have 4 pages. My iPhone only loses battery for the normal reasons; music, Internet usage, phone etc. I've gone to 2-3 pages before but I never have noticed better battery. For me at night at 100% I wake up to my iPhone at 60-70%. But that is due to app usage such as ones that continue to run when I'm listening to comedy for example. Of course it'll drain my battery.

3. TeriFig

TeriFig New Member

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah I can see that happening with media running and such.

Sent using iCafe app

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Most definitely. But are you saying that you're noticing battery drain when you have more pages of apps? I have honestly never heard of that.

5. TeriFig

TeriFig New Member

Yes, exactly. I'm not sure if this is just a fluke or if it really is something. I didn't do anything else other than eliminate the third page. I have 64gigs, so it's not about not having enough storage.

Sent using iCafe app

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I am on the iPhone 5, not the 5S. But, I do not see the having more pages being the issue. Do you close all your open applications when you are not using them?

"“We recently discovered a manufacturing issue affecting a very limited number of iPhone 5S devices that could cause the battery to take longer to charge or result in reduced battery life,” said Teresa Brewer, an Apple spokeswoman. “We are reaching out to customers with affected phones and will provide them with a replacement phone.”"

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/29/shortened-battery-life-found-in-some-new-iphones/

Is your iPhone 5S possibly one of these affected iPhones? Have you gone to your provider?

#6 MoneyMaker79, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Adding more pages won't affect the battery. It sometimes drops by 2% because it's just an estimate and not 100% accurate. Using all 64 GB also wouldn't affect the battery life.

Aside from music streaming apps and navigation apps, you don't have to bother with closing apps in the task switcher. They will freeze rather than keep running continuously and they have a negligible impact on battery life.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. TeriFig

TeriFig New Member

I usually close all apps not in use. I don't like the idea of any apps running while not using. I haven't spoken to anyone else about it yet. Just curious about what the experts in this forum had to say.

Sent using iCafe app

9. TeriFig

TeriFig New Member

Thanks for this info. I'll look into further.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There is a lot of misunderstanding regarding the task switcher. Apple designed it in a way that the user wouldn't have to close out apps to optimize performance and battery life. The apps aren't running continuously and they don't drain the battery. They are frozen so you can quickly open them again. Some of them refresh occasionally but Apple has stated that they don't drain that battery. You don't need to close them (except navigation and Pandora). If anything, closing them all out drains the battery more than it would if you hadn't closed it because now it has to fully open the app afterwards. Either way is pretty negligible, but it's a waste of time to close them unless you are having a problem with an app and want to force close it.

Did your battery drain down to zero quickly or did it just go from 100% to 98%? If it drained quickly it probably just need to calibrate. It isn't 100% accurate, but letting it drain to zero and reboot can help it to read more accurately. The amount of pages you have makes absolutely no difference in the battery life.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Thanks, Mindi. You just saved me some typing. :D

12. TeriFig

TeriFig New Member

Good to know. I won't bother closing apps now. You're right... There's lots of confusion out there.

The battery went from 100 to 98 instantly. It's never dropped to 0.

Sent using iCafe app

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's nothing to be concerned about.

14. TeriFig

TeriFig New Member

Great! Thanks.

Sent using iCafe app

15. denzel1989

denzel1989 Member
    Bronze

What apps did you install? Do you close your apps on the background after you use them?

#15 denzel1989, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  16. denzel1989

denzel1989 Member
    Bronze

Are you sure about this?
    From my understanding apps in the background kill your battery life. Apple themselves said so. It wouldn't make sense that closeting your apps kills your battery. If this was the case, I don't think multitasking would be an option.

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I've also been told many times to close any apps running in the background such as Facebook. I have never heard that they are frozen in the background until you reopen them.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, I'm sure.

Show me a recommendation directly from Apple stating that apps should be killed after using them. If they advised this they would have added a "kill all" feature to the task switcher and they wouldn't have spent so much time developing a system that freezes apps rather than keeping them running continuously. It was developed with battery life and memory in mind. Closing apps defeats the purpose. It's best to let the phone manage its own memory. It does a better job than we can do and we don't have to waste time trying manage it ourselves.

I didn't say closing apps kills your battery. I said it's unnecessary to close them manually as they have a negligible impact on battery. I said if anything opening and force closing them all the time would be worse since they would have to fully open each time, but both ways are actually have a pretty negligible impact on the battery.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Well now you have.

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Anyone who watched a keynote would have known this.