Battery drainage discovery

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You're welcome. It's just that I've seen a lot of people needlessly worrying about it. I really think some people are better off just turning the percentage off so they can stop stressing about it and just use the phone.

I leave mine on, but I don't worry about it at all. I top off throughout the day and carry a small external charger that I occasionally use.

denzel1989

Bronze
Oct 12, 2013
You're welcome. It's just that I've seen a lot of people needlessly worrying about it. I really think some people are better off just turning the percentage off so they can stop stressing about it and just use the phone.

I leave mine on, but I don't worry about it at all. I top off throughout the day and carry a small external charger that I occasionally use.
I'm gonna invest in one, I'll get the Apple certified one. I don't wanna ruin my battery from other manufacturers.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm gonna invest in one, I'll get the Apple certified one. I don't wanna ruin my battery from other manufacturers.
I don't go with cheap ones because they aren't built to last very long, but I wouldn't worry about them ruining the battery.

I have a few external chargers of various sizes that have held up very well. I usually go with Mophie, but also have a New Trent.

denzel1989

Bronze
Oct 12, 2013
I don't go with cheap ones because they aren't built to last very long, but I wouldn't worry about them ruining the battery.

I have a few external chargers of various sizes that have held up very well. I usually go with Mophie, but also have a New Trent.
Good to know.
I had a friend who's battery was ruined cause if the external charger. I'm pretty OCD cause I bought this phone outright lol. No Apple care, maybe I'll get it later.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Good to know.
I had a friend who's battery was ruined cause if the external charger. I'm pretty OCD cause I bought this phone outright lol. No Apple care, maybe I'll get it later.
You only have 30 days to buy AppleCare+ and they have to inspect it at an Apple Store or run a diagnostic on it if you don't get it at the time of purchase.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
As others have stated, the battery percentage displayed is only an approximation based on past performance of that battery in that phone. Letting the battery run down once a month or so, to where the phone shuts itself off and then fully charging the phone for 6-8 hours, allows that approximation to account for changes in the battery's capacity during its lifetime. Battery discharge rates and capacity will change over time depending on how it is used, how often it is charged, how completely it is charged and a number of other factors too numerous to mention. When the percentage first reaches 100%, let it continue to charge as long as possible before disconnecting the charge cord. You cannot overcharge the battery this way but constantly recharging from partial discharge, so the battery can make it through the day, can be detrimental to a battery's life span. Occasional full discharge followed by a complete uninterrupted recharge can help to counteract this as well as re-calibrating the battery meter.

The short version is: Letting the battery run down completely several times a year followed by an uninterrupted full recharge will not only improve the accuracy of the battery meter but will also increase your battery's life expectancy.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
A bit of a discovery ... A lot has been said about iOS 7's effect on battery life, with man publications going through a list of steps which may extend battery life. When I finally got around to doing the updates ( I held off until iOS 7.0.4 ) I went through all 4 of our devices ( 2 iPhones 4s, 1 iPad 2 and one iPad mini, and did most or all of what was suggested ( brightness, 'auto app refresh OFF', reduce motion ON, 'auto app update OFF' ....+ a battery drain and recharge. You get the drift. My plan was to watch the batteries fairly carefuly, then reinstate a few of the new functions one at a time, to see what the effect was. In truth there was only one of the new functions which I disabled that I figured "might' be handy ... So here is what I found. First off, battery life on all devices was moderately better after the iOS 7 update compared to 6.1.3 Prior to it I had been cautious re screen brightness etc, and am not a power user, so would say that it went from 'very good' to 'excellent' all round. I can easily see how stuff like Auto App REFRESH can be a power-hog, and of the things I use, FaceBook is also pretty high on the list. I re-instated transparencies ( settings/ general/ accessibility/ increase contrast OFF) and found little if any difference. This morning I turned on Auto App Update ( iTunes & App Store ) for updates ( automatic updates) figuring that it really shouldn't be much different, as is normally simply do updates as I see them come up. NOT SO .... with 'Updates' selected ON, even though I left 'Music' & 'Apps' OFF, the battery dropped from 100% to 79 % while simply in my pocket, while I was doing a few errands around town ... ( about 90 min ) No phone use, messaging, email used. My 'norm' after such a mission would have been probably 97% or so.... So for what its worth, the 'luxury,, of having your device using Automatic App Updating comes at a significant price battery wise. Device ( phone ) locks after 1 min, so was dormant whole time . ( I have 5 min for lock on iPads) David

Sent using iCafe app

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
A bit of a discovery ... A lot has been said about iOS 7's effect on battery life, with man publications going through a list of steps which may extend battery life. When I finally got around to doing the updates ( I held off until iOS 7.0.4 ) I went through all 4 of our devices ( 2 iPhones 4s, 1 iPad 2 and one iPad mini, and did most or all of what was suggested ( brightness, 'auto app refresh OFF', reduce motion ON, 'auto app update OFF' ....+ a battery drain and recharge. You get the drift. My plan was to watch the batteries fairly carefuly, then reinstate a few of the new functions one at a time, to see what the effect was. In truth there was only one of the new functions which I disabled that I figured "might' be handy ... So here is what I found. First off, battery life on all devices was moderately better after the iOS 7 update compared to 6.1.3 Prior to it I had been cautious re screen brightness etc, and am not a power user, so would say that it went from 'very good' to 'excellent' all round. I can easily see how stuff like Auto App REFRESH can be a power-hog, and of the things I use, FaceBook is also pretty high on the list. I re-instated transparencies ( settings/ general/ accessibility/ increase contrast OFF) and found little if any difference. This morning I turned on Auto App Update ( iTunes & App Store ) for updates ( automatic updates) figuring that it really shouldn't be much different, as is normally simply do updates as I see them come up. NOT SO .... with 'Updates' selected ON, even though I left 'Music' & 'Apps' OFF, the battery dropped from 100% to 79 % while simply in my pocket, while I was doing a few errands around town ... ( about 90 min ) No phone use, messaging, email used. My 'norm' after such a mission would have been probably 97% or so.... So for what its worth, the 'luxury,, of having your device using Automatic App Updating comes at a significant price battery wise. Device ( phone ) locks after 1 min, so was dormant whole time . ( I have 5 min for lock on iPads) David

Sent using iCafe app
How many apps were updated during your errands run? It was my understanding that the increased battery use for auto app update had to do with it updating when the phone was asleep, like in the middle of the night. So if you had no updates during your "mission", it shouldn't have used battery. What you suggest says it uses battery non stop if auto app update is turned on. Surely not.

Sent using iCafe app

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
There were no apps updated during that time... One did on my mini, overnight, but it was asleep/plugged in. That was the first thing I looked at when I saw the 79% but isn't the case ! Like I said, I was surprised - it was like it keeps 'checking' for any available updates. :)

Sent using iCafe app

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
For what its worth, I determined that there had been no 'updating' activity during the time phone was asleep in my pocket, buth by checking the update page on the App Store, as well as a scan on all icons for the small blue dot indication for an updated but yet unopened app .... D

Sent using iCafe app

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
For what its worth, I determined that there had been no 'updating' activity during the time phone was asleep in my pocket, buth by checking the update page on the App Store, as well as a scan on all icons for the small blue dot indication for an updated but yet unopened app .... D

Sent using iCafe app
My sister has an iPhone 5 and uses the auto app update. But she says her battery does fine. Not much will cause that kind of drop in %. Movies, lots of music and etc. Have you run the battery down til it shuts off, then charged it beyond 100%? If so, and the % still drops that way, you might check with Apple.

Sent using iCafe app

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
That was a "one-of' event, and since this morning, I have ( after de-activating auto-app-update) left the phone, asleep, for a couple hours, and saw my normal 99% with maybe 2 inbound emails read and replied to ... Which is what I'm used to ..... So I'll manually update, at least for a while ! Thanks for the feedback .. . David

Sent using iCafe app

denzel1989

Bronze
Oct 12, 2013
My iPhone is good. When I leave my iPhone on stand by, I don't seem to be loosing any battery at all. Maybe a percent or so. But not more than 5%.
When the battery does drain, it's due to the obvious culprit " Facebook , and safari".
I always turn off my wi if and blue tooth.
Other than that, everything else is turned on.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
That is what I have been used to the only exception being the short period during which I'd turned on the Auto App Updating .... So .... I will stick to the 'tried and true' and simply do App updates as they come out ! Thanks ... David

Sent using iCafe app

denzel1989

Bronze
Oct 12, 2013
That is what I have been used to the only exception being the short period during which I'd turned on the Auto App Updating .... So .... I will stick to the 'tried and true' and simply do App updates as they come out ! Thanks ... David

Sent using iCafe app
Is your wi do always on?
Do you have plenty apps installed on your iPhone?

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
Wifi stays on, and no, I have a pretty bare minimum number of apps , I am not a gamer. Bluetooth is only on when I'm driving.. The cell coverage in. Barbados provides me with 3G in most places ( that's the limit on iPhone 4S anyhow) and "E” in a few.... I , as a matter of habit, ensure any open apps get closed fairly regularly ...

Sent using iCafe app

denzel1989

Bronze
Oct 12, 2013

Sent using iCafe app
Blue tooth is probably your battery killer.
Plus your running older hardware. That could be another issue. Or it could be a bug in iOS 7. Not entirely sure.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
The strange thing is that this only happened the one time, and I have had the phones ( and iPads) configured the same way for more than a year. Why it raised an eyebrow was that simply as an 'experiment' I turned on the Auto App Update, which I hadn't ever used, and presto, within a few hours, there was a major change... so.... I'm doing the obvious, and doing what I had done before, and guess what, no battery drain ! :)

Sent using iCafe app

denzel1989

Bronze
Oct 12, 2013
The strange thing is that this only happened the one time, and I have had the phones ( and iPads) configured the same way for more than a year. Why it raised an eyebrow was that simply as an 'experiment' I turned on the Auto App Update, which I hadn't ever used, and presto, within a few hours, there was a major change... so.... I'm doing the obvious, and doing what I had done before, and guess what, no battery drain ! :)

Sent using iCafe app
You hit the nail on the head sir!
There's an issue with the auto update.

rugved1118

Silver
Sep 27, 2013
I discovered by deleting camera+ app which used to drain my battery.

Sent using iCafe app