Battery drains fast when using Personal Hotspot

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by MrMosoani, Nov 30, 2014.

1. MrMosoani

MrMosoani New Member

My iPhone 5 battery drains really fast when I activate personal hotspot in fact it gets scary hot. I even saw it displayed on screen that accordingly I can't use it because the temperature is so high (with image of thermometer). The first time I saw that screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Is it still under warrantee? I'm guessing not since it is an iPhone 5. I would definitely get in touch with Apple either by phone or through an appointment at the nearest Apple Store. If the phone works fine otherwise just stop using the personal hotspot feature but definitely look into the problem with Apple ASAP.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Sent from my iPad 3.

3. MrMosoani

MrMosoani New Member

I don't think this still has a warranty. It's more than a year now. Well, I don't have wifi most of the time and I only got my phone and my Macbook Pro. I thought that it's practical to just use the personal hotspot of this phone rather than buying a separate pocket wifi and pay separately to the phone company. :)

Well, maybe I just need to limit using it as personal hotspot. Thanks!

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I've used my iPhone 5's hotspot feature for 5 and 6 hours at a time while the phone was not plugged in and never had an issue like yours. The same is true of my new iPhone 6. The overheating issue definitely needs to be looked into. Good luck and let us know what happens.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 6

5. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I often used the personal hotpsot on my 5 over a 2 year period and never had the temperature warning. It did get warmer and drained the battery quicker, but by no means extremely hot.

6. Kyouya

Kyouya New Member

The reason my iphone 5 getting very hot and battery drain while im on 3G because of the low signal (1 bar/dot) but, whenever im going to town with a good signal coverage. Full signal. My phone is in good condition. I don't know why, but i think it is because the phone keep on struggling to keep access on data while we have a very slow signal. Sorry for my bad english.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 Kyouya, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  7. jarhead64656667

jarhead64656667 New Member

Check with Apple, there is a battery replacement program. Just had mine done, they couldn't get the battery out so they gave a new I5. No charge,