Battery drains quickly [1st generation iPhone]

gsxr370

Apr 12, 2007
i have been using mine a lot. Sometimes just running through the features so I can get a fix. It went 36 hours. I think thats great. I used my Blackberry pearl for pretty much, just phone calls and it hardly ever made it 36 hours. The charging time is what I can't believe. Put it on the charger 2 hours ago, its still below 3/4. I guess its not your typical phone.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
I have a question that may affect the battery life. When you are done with a webpage and hit the home button is it still using the battery and edge/wifi for the webpage? I couldn't find a way to just close out the page I was looking at. Any help would be appreciated.

shift_2kmaxima

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
same problem here, iam def. not happy with my batter, i can hardly go 24hours
but i mean i'll use it for most of the day, but that's just cause iam in LOVE with this thing, and i'll be online whole time, videos/music and phone calls also txt msg...i've also put my brightness down to help out with battery...
maybe when i am not obsessed with it in 2wks or so
my battery will be better

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
i killed a fully charged battery in 3 and 1/2 hours of constant use (mostly web browsing).
Whereas it's *supposed* to last somewhere closer to 7 hours. I guess that is "ideal conditions".....
Maybe with the brightness all the way down, and doing nothing else at all. lol

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
What is it with Apple the absolute inability to make a decent battery?

That seems what it's all about these days, devices either come with bateries that die after 20 minutes or explode.

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
What is it with Apple the absolute inability to make a decent battery?

That seems what it's all about these days, devices either come with bateries that die after 20 minutes or explode.
Be aware that if you are using the phone to it's fullest capabilities, you can tax the battery. Browsing, video, music, calling all take up a lot of energy. I have gotten wonderful life on my battery, I talked for an hour the other night and I still had about 88% of a charge which seems right. Remember also that Apple doesn't necessarily make the battery, another manufacturer does. One last thing to consider, the phone does so much more than any other phone, so keep that in mind when looking at battery life.

ijoy24

Jul 2, 2007
Battery Life

I've noticed that the phone may charge a little more quickly if you turn off WiFi and bluetooth. What has me concerned is that the battery may be shot after approximately 300 charges. That means it will last you about a year and then you have to send in the whole device for replacement? Has anyone heard anything like this about the battery life?

ben1380

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Be aware that if you are using the phone to it's fullest capabilities, you can tax the battery. Browsing, video, music, calling all take up a lot of energy. I have gotten wonderful life on my battery, I talked for an hour the other night and I still had about 88% of a charge which seems right. Remember also that Apple doesn't necessarily make the battery, another manufacturer does. One last thing to consider, the phone does so much more than any other phone, so keep that in mind when looking at battery life.
and how the heck did you see what percentage of battery you had left? Did you measure the little battery meter?

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Was thinking my ipod has taken TONS of charges and still works(year and a half) iPHONE will have the same results. I believe it will take way more than 300 full charges. First of all if youre at 80% and u charge the phone it is NOT a full charge. 300 full charges is whats been implied and sounds accurrate but seriously we should be upgrading to new iPhones anyways within a year:laugh2:

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Well it must be doing it all at once. My N93 is sitting here in front of me and for the past 2 and a half days it's been permanently hooked up to my wifi as well as being bluetoothed to my PC, the battery's holding up fine, it's not even like Nokia are renowned in that respect. Not to mention I've been browsing with it and listening to a few podcasts while I was cooking.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Supposedly, it's about 270 charges, and then the quality starts to "degrade" not that it goes completely dead. I think it will be ok. And, Knowsall, i hope we're not upgrading within a year. I plan on using this phone, for a while. I don't wanna spend another 6 months drooling and then spend 6+ hours camping, to spend another 600$ on a phone. Once every 2 or 3 years is plenty enough for me, thx. lol